Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes and Playlist Retrieval from crashed computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Itunes and Playlist Retrieval from crashed computer

I've not seen this specific issue addressed so I will lay out my situation.

My old computer "crashed" a few weeks ago due to a bad mother board but the hard drive was not damaged.

I purchased a new computer and had the old hard drive installed as a secondary hard drive on the new computer (Drive F)

On the new computer I downloaded and installed iTunes and want to transfer over my old iTunes library and playlists from my old hard drive "now the 'F' drive).

I believe I can effectively do this by telling the newly installed iTunes program to make the default folder that contains my tunes to be the location of the iTunes library on the F drive, rather than use the "suggsted" default of the new computer's C drive.

Is this correct?

If so, how can I retrieve the old playlists -- when I launch iTunes on the new computer my old playlists do not appear in the left side pane as they did on the old computer.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM

On the old drive, find your iTunes folder. In it will a library xml and library.itl file.

These .itl file holds your playlists, etc in it. For some reason your new set up is not recognizing the old library file. This could be because of "filepath" issues.

In your new setup is all of your music present? and you are just missing your playlists after reseting the folder path? If so, you can attempt to import the .xml from the old hard drive into iTunes using file... import and this should bring playlists in.

Alternatively, Look on the default C drive. Is there an iTunes folder there? Do you find new .xml and .itl files? If so, iTunes may be looking at these files, You can attempt to overwrite these files with the copies from the old hard drive and relaunch iTunes, this may rebuild things normally, but filepath issues could still exist.

Good luck.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply.

On the old drive I located the iTunes folder but there is no .itl file located there, just the .ml file.

The xml file is rather large -- over 5 MB -- title is iTune Music Libary, and there is another file in the iTunes folder called iTunes Library and is shown under TYPE as iTunes Music Database.

but nowhere do I see a file with the .itl extension or with a title of Playlist.

I am wondering if the following might help -- is there a way to "empty" the itunes library on the new computer and start over by importing the .xml file from the F drive? I realize that I would then have to add again any new music that was not on the old drive but that is not a problem as I have not added much new music until I resolve the transfer.

Any further suggestions will be appreicated.

Thanks.

Last edited by vegastunes; 10-31-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM

For help locating the files: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93732

Simply importing the .xml file will not actually import music, it only imports references.

Like I said if you have all your music showing in iTunes, just not the playlists, importing the .xml file SHOULD in theory bring back your playlists.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!

Topic: Itunes and Playlist Retrieval from crashed computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.