Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Customizing How iTunes Does Album View

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Customizing How iTunes Does Album View

iTunes on Windows Vista is awfully slow, so the very least I can do is try to make it pretty and slow. I turned on Album View, because I'm sick of having a Smart Playlist for every album.

However, that brings me to the REASON why I had a smart playlist for every album: Music programs are not "smart" like my custom smart playlists. They thing that if two tracks have the same album, but different artists, they must be different albums. I'm not saying that this isn't a reasonable assumption - but in my case, I don't own any albums of duplicate name by different artists. So what does this do? Makes the Album View look disgusting.

I want albums sorted ONLY by album, and never by album and artist. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to accomplish this. How can I stop iTunes's album view from separating albums based on their artists, like what iTunes does in the Browser's album section?

(Fixing this problem will also fix Coverflow. The next step is to stop Windows Media Center from doing the same thing. Ugh.)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Veteran Lounger

Do you have the "Part of a compilation" box ticked for those albums with multiple artists? With compilations properly marked, I get great Album Views whether sorted by Album, Album Artist, or Album Year.

Simply select all tracks from the album, Get Info, give the "compilation" item the proper value, check its box, click OK.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wonderful! I always did wonder what that field was for. Great to know.

EDIT: It seems like it doesn't want to make certain albums into a proper compilation. I've been trying to get one album together and it simply refuses to merge. I looked, and the "compilation" field for the album is set to "yes". What's the deal?

Last edited by GoldenChaos; 10-28-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Veteran Lounger

The data may need to be kicked around a bit ;-) Select every track in the album and do a Get Info; re-type the Album name and check its box, repeating for any other data that all songs share (such as Disc Number i of j); set Compilation to No; OK. Now do Get Info again, setting the Compilation item and its box; OK.

Should be OK now...if it's not, poor instructions from this end...someone better versed in wonky tags will come along with the right hand-wavings and incantations to make it work ;-)
Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

The tags are pretty uniform - I'm a stickler about my tags. I drop bombs on icky tags.

In any case, only one album isn't cooperating, and it's a mix that I made myself. Like I said, the tags are quite uniform - nothing should be separating the tracks. Maybe it just hates the files or something; I can't figure it out. Oh well, at least the rest of my library now looks nice and neat!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

As S2 noted, I have had a few instances where everything is set as it should be but the ordering is still wrong... setting the comp tag off then on again will force it to resort okay.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

You may need to put the album artist for some of your compilations as "various artist" This is a tag on top of the regular artist. So fill the album artist tag.

Good luck

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!

Topic: Customizing How iTunes Does Album View

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.