Windows - No Disk error - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Windows - No Disk error

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Windows - No Disk error

When I use iTunes now I constantly get an error dialog box with the title "Windows - No Disk" and the message "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:", "Cancel, Try Again, Continue". Basically when I click the Sync button, this dialog box pops up three or four times. (I do not have 'Enable disk use' turned on for this ipod.)

Searching ilounge and google hasn't located a solution. Any ideas?

Environment:
* Windows XP Pro SP2
* iTunes 7.4.3.1
* iPod nano gen1, software version 1.3.1
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Apple has help: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93687

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had actually run across that advice before, and tried the remedy suggested. It did not fix the problem.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

Dang, am I the only one with this problem? I'm to the point where any iTunes interaction with my nano results in two to six annoying "Windows - No Disk" dialog boxes! Argh!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

no- bababooey i'm having this same problem. it started happening after i put my music library onto an external hd. i can't find a solution anywhere. somebody please help. my problem happens after i sync my ipod (not everytime, but after 7-8 syncs) the window pops up-there is no disk in drive . retry/cancel/continue. i hit cancel 2 times and it goes away. it is annoying but does not really interfere with itunes. i tried moving all of itunes to the external hard drive, but it still does it intermittently. i've tried most all of the fixes seen on the web/apple/google. from re-lettering the drives-to clearing the recent playlist on quicktime.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm still stuck with this problem, too. Just recently I tried these "five R" steps at http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano/, but it still didn't fix the problem. Frustrating...
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

I too...

I too am having this problem. Would appreciate a solution. Have searched across the Web but haven't found any suggestions.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Arrgh!

I can't figure it out either! For me, it says to "please insert a disc into drive E:." BUT - drive E: IS my iPod! When I plug my ipod in, it becomes drive E: Maybe we just have to live with it???
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Apple Pie Eater

I don't know the fix but I was reading another post with a (not so) similar problem and it just struck me as worth the try.

Error 1418
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrozoid
I don't know the fix but I was reading another post with a (not so) similar problem and it just struck me as worth the try.

Error 1418
I did try changing the drive letter associated with my ipod, and it didn't help. And actually I don't even enable disk usage on my ipod. continued frustration...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

3 months and no relief? I make house calls... reasonable rates.

My first guess is (and the easiest to fix) is that the iTunes database has one or more references to E: You may want to look at it and delete anything with an "!"

My second guess is, iTunes thinks your E: is where your CD is.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Reset?

A simple ipod reset seems to have solved the problem for me. Sorry you all are still struggling!

Doug
Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw73
no- bababooey i'm having this same problem. it started happening after i put my music library onto an external hd. i can't find a solution anywhere. somebody please help. my problem happens after i sync my ipod (not everytime, but after 7-8 syncs) the window pops up-there is no disk in drive . retry/cancel/continue. i hit cancel 2 times and it goes away. it is annoying but does not really interfere with itunes. i tried moving all of itunes to the external hard drive, but it still does it intermittently. i've tried most all of the fixes seen on the web/apple/google. from re-lettering the drives-to clearing the recent playlist on quicktime.
Same issue here, just moved my files to a NAS and I get this error.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

Got it!

All you have to do is reset the drive letter for the ipod in windows because for some reason windows thinks the drive letter is taken:

Right click on my computer
select manage
select drive manager
right click on the ipod drive
change the drive letter to Z or something
DONE

Topic: Windows - No Disk error

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.