Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: faster way of importing cd's into Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

faster way of importing cd's into Itunes

Hi All.

I just got a new Ipod and I am loving it, but I have a problem.

I have hundreds upon hundreds of cd's and to put one cd at a time into the computer and import them into Itunes so I can put them into my ipod is taking way too long. I don't have a lot of time to sit in front of the computer and babysit the cd tray and I would like to have my Ipod filled up so I can start enjoying my entire music collection.

Is there a way to do it quicker other than buying some expensive piece of hardware, or is there a service out there that can do it for me? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Veteran Lounger

Well, you can set a pref that automatically starts importing when a CD is inserted. Preferences>General>Importing, select "Import CD and Eject" from popup menu. (If you've got a tray-based CD drive that sucks the tray back in after a minute or two of inattention, you p'bly want to use the vanilla "Import CD" setting.)

There's a couple of ripping programs that can handle numerous CD drives simultaneously (if your hardware is up to it); use Google

There's gobs of CD-ripping services; p'bly cost you as much as the fancy hardware.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Turn up the audio so you can hear the completion beep and go do something else and only go back to swap CDs. That's what I did. Got my whole collection in 4 days.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Look man, u don't HAVE to do it in one sitting. Just do enuff to make u happy, then....

As mentioned u can PAY someone to do it. Lots of shops don't mind taking yr $.

U can try to purchase a 500 CD changer, again $$$.

It's just money, that's all.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Senior Lounger

I agree with all said above, as I too went through the tedious process of loading about 800 CDs over the course of two weeks.

What I will add is that you should give some careful thought beforehand as to how you want your music imported: like bit rate, MP3 vs AAC, file location, setting up itunes to categorize your music, etc. and most importantly, backing up your files. You will realize all if this as you go, if not immediately after you've gone through the task, and you absolutely will not want to do it again.

Given the large library you have, I expect you are also into good sound quality and nice equipment. So, in the long run, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry and wind up selling yourself short in these crucial steps.

Last edited by jasn; 10-05-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Exactly what jasn says.

Another reason not to do it in one siting is.... are u SURE ur doing it the RIGHT way?

So do a few, then if yer not happy, or u find out u could be happier, u won't have to re-do the 5,000, just the 15.

Even b4r star ripping, be sure enuff HD space, else, go out to buy more storage. Recommended.

Topic: faster way of importing cd's into Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.