Sharing iPod? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Sharing iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-11-2003, 06:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sharing iPod?

So it would seem that now there is great documentation on how to share my G4's music library via iTunes 4. However, since 95% of my music is on my iPod, does anyone know how to share my iPod instead of my G4's music? Thanks in advance for any help.
Yours Truly,
Chris
Old 05-15-2003, 12:00 PM

Junior Lounger

well presumably, if you have an ipod, then u must habe had all your music in itunes to copy it on, so wheres it gone

// 15GB 3rd Gen Pod || 800mhz iMac 17in (768mb and SuperDrive) \\
Old 05-15-2003, 02:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

This request has been posted in several locations still to no avail. I, personally, see little reason to have 10 GB of music in two locations taking up needed space. This is why I have an iPod.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

I know what you mean. Got my first iPod, and it's the 30 gig. I have an iBook, it's 10 gig. I've filled up 19 gig of music on the iPod through ripping, copying to iPod, and then deleting from the library. How am I supposed to keep all that around when I can only max out my free space on my iBook at 4 gig? I can't. So my music collection is my iPod. And for some reason I can't share it.

I find this just as dumb as not being able to stream music bought from the apple store. I mean, really, what's the difference between legally purchasing a song from there and legally ripping a song off my cd's? I can stream one but not the other? And then I can't stream those exact songs at all if they're not in my computer library and rather the iPod? And even if I had enough space to waste on 30 gigs of music on my computer, just so I can sync with the iPod, I wouldn't do it. That's 60gigs of used space for one purpose, yet only yields 30 gigs of music. That's why some of us don't keep the music in both places.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:49 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Auricom
<snip>

I find this just as dumb as not being able to stream music bought from the apple store.

<snip>
It's part of the reason Apple was able to strike a deal with the 5 major record labels. Without the DRM included on all tracks purchased from the iTunes Music Store, the record labels wouldn't have agreed to let their music be put up on the store.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:31 PM

Try using this AppleScript to trick iTunes into temporarily adding your iPod's contents to its Library, and then turn "Sharing" on...

Click the image to open in full size.
1G iPod 5GB : lucy 4G iPod Photo 60GB : SoaringRabbit| iMac G4 800Mhz | 17" Aluminum Powerbook| OS 10.3 | LaCie 160 GB External Firewire HD - 70 GB of Music!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by eustacescrubb
Try using this AppleScript to trick iTunes into temporarily adding your iPod's contents to its Library, and then turn "Sharing" on...
Wow! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Just have to be patient as it takes about 20+ minutes to load up the entire ipod.

Topic: Sharing iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.