Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I stop iTunes from changing song info during playback?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Junior Lounger

How do I stop iTunes from changing song info during playback?

In iTunes, during playback of each song, iTunes is apparently accessing the internet to gather & change the information on each song ... like Album Artist, Composer, Comments, etc. This is wreaking havoc on my library, especially the album art. For example, I currently have 9 different "ACDC - Back In Black" album covers in cover flow view. I can manually delete all the added information and the problem is temporarily fixed. But when these songs are played in iTunes next time, the information is re-accessed and changed right back again. How do I get this to stop? I have always had "Automatically Download Missing Artwork" under the General tab unchecked. And I have even just unchecked "Automatically Retrieve CD Track Names From Internet" under the Importing tab. I still have this problem though. Can someone help me stop this? Thank you!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Veteran Lounger

This is almost certainly done by some third party program, not iTunes.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Like what? I have only iTunes opened up ... nothing else. I just clicked to play "A Whole New World" from the Aladdin soundtrack. And suddenly iTunes added Alan Menken as the Album Artist and created an additional album cover in the cover flow view. I'm not disagreeing with you ... just trying to learn. By the way, this problem does not always happen. But it does happen often enough to completely mess up my library.

I should also add that in searching here, I did find a handful of users who reported the same problem but noboody reported a solution. This was the most recent case I saw: Artist info changes back when I play song..

Last edited by HiHoSilver; 09-02-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 AM

Veteran Lounger

Weird. Nothing else is running? Have you checked Services on your machine, just to make sure there's no kind of music "helper" running in the background? I'm not sure about how the various Windows versions work on this...maybe there's a log you can check to see where iTunes (or whatever is doing this) is connecting to do this?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Junior Lounger

I'm trying to look to find out. Here is a screen shot with iTunes opened up, along with Photoshop and Internet Explorer. Does anything look like a suspect?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Did you have .M3u playlists in music folders you may have imported into iTunes? These will interfer with ID3 tags in the manner you describe. Check for them in your iTunes music folder and trash them to fix the problem.

Alternatively depending on your ID3 tag version this can cause some problems attempt to convert to the most recent versions by right clicking and selecting convert ID3 tags.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Man, I don't even know what M3u playlists are. All of my music in iTunes has come directly from CDs (about 90%) and the iTunes store (about 10%).
When I do Convert ID3 tags, am I also supposed to check Reverse Unicode? If so, do I click this at the same time or after it converts the tags? Thanks! This is a very frustrating problem and I am dedicated to finally solving it today. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Veteran Lounger

I will have to agree that it's probably not iTunes changing your track info. I know Windows Media Player used to have a setting in it to automatically update song info from the internet. This used to mess me up when I was using a Windows PC.

Check to see what version of ID3 tags you are using on the Get Info window, ID3 v2.3 seems to be the most stable and well supported version. They can be changed by right clicking the files and choose convert ID3 tag.

You should also check to see if your music files have been set to read only. You maybe changing the info in iTunes but it's not able to change the ID3 tag. In Windows Explorer right click one of the files and choose Properties, look at the Attributes at the bottom, Read-only should be un-checked.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 09-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Junior Lounger

My Windows Media Player (Vista) most definitely DID have the setting checked to automatically update song info from the internet. I unchecked it. Just a few minutes ago, I converted all the ID3 tags to v2.4 (with Reverse Unicode unchecked). Should I go back & change them to v2.3 now? And I did check several songs & none are Read Only. Thanks for the help ... I think I'm getting closer.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM

.M3u playlists are files that are often generated by programs like winamp or Windows Media player. People who had massive collections in one of these two players who then imported the folders that use to be used by the others into iTunes have this problem.

It's relatively simple to do a search

Not sure on the reverese unicode thing, though.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Junior Lounger

Thank you. Just did a search for .m3u and had no results.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver
Just did a search for .m3u and had no results.
Agree with Sparkee that it's most likely a problem with Windows Media Player automatically updating track info.

Last edited by thelastvoice; 09-03-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

Think the OP meant searching the local hard drive for files ending in ".m3u" ;-)
Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM

Veteran Lounger

I think v2.2 is what iTunes uses now; v2.3 is pretty widely accepted, but v2.4 is still kinda cutting edge. You shouldn't need to mess with encodings at all (uncheck 'em all).
Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Thank you. So far so good. As I said before, this problem didn't always occur, so I can't claim that it is solved yet ... but everything is playing great so far.
Do you think that this problem may be at all related to the "disappearing artwork problem" that users occasionally report? I have experienced this from time to time as well. Thank you again!

Topic: How do I stop iTunes from changing song info during playback?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.