Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to restore iPod without iTunes ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

How to restore iPod without iTunes ?

Even though my PC (running Windows XP) recognizes my iPod, it doesn't show up in ITunes. I think the hard drive may be failing as just before iTunes stopped seeing the iPod I had a spate of random song disappearances from the iPod. Anyway, from looking at the Apple site they say to if you want to restore an iPod start iTunes and then when your iPod is recognized, restore it from there. Problem is, if the iPod isn't recognized how are you supposed to restore ? I'm running the latest iTunes, by the way, and when I go to "Help -> Run Diagnostics" the iPod shows up in there as a drive. Also, when I plug it in, iTunes starts up automatically. So it's seeing it, it's just not SEEing it.
Thanks for any ideas.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:49 AM

I would try to fix the problem of not being seen in iTunes first: iPod shows up in Windows but not in iTunes

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

I tried all the steps in the article but the iPod still doesn't show up as a source. The only step left is to restore it. But I can't restore it if iTunes doesn't see it. And if iTunes doesn't see it I need to restore it. But I can't restore it ...... etc. etc. etc.
This is driving me insane.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM

You may also have to repeat those steps and uninstall Quicktime when you uninstall iTunes. The clean up of installers is the critical step, and should be done for both quicktime and iTunes.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

I think more than that it's the fact that my iPod is dying. I ran a diagnostic disk check on it last night and got the 112 RD fail scan ng error. I figure the part of the drive containing the software to let iTunes see it must be bad. Time for a new one I think. Thanks for your help anyway !
ITunes seems OK as it sees my wife's iPod without a problem.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Here is an article from Apple that may help: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304508

Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg
Even though my PC (running Windows XP) recognizes my iPod, it doesn't show up in ITunes. I think the hard drive may be failing as just before iTunes stopped seeing the iPod I had a spate of random song disappearances from the iPod. Anyway, from looking at the Apple site they say to if you want to restore an iPod start iTunes and then when your iPod is recognized, restore it from there. Problem is, if the iPod isn't recognized how are you supposed to restore ? I'm running the latest iTunes, by the way, and when I go to "Help -> Run Diagnostics" the iPod shows up in there as a drive. Also, when I plug it in, iTunes starts up automatically. So it's seeing it, it's just not SEEing it.
Thanks for any ideas.
I'm having the exact same problem with my iPhone since iTunes 8.02 came out. Tried all the stuff on the Apple support site. I'm fairly technical but I'm getting pretty frustrated. Did you end up resolving this problem and how? I'm about to try downloading an iPhone restore image to install without iTunes to see if that works....
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have an identical problem. I have a first generation iPod shuffle that appears as a mass storage device in the finder, but does not appear in iTunes.

I have both a Mac and a PC [I work as a web designer so it is necessary], and the behavior in iTunes is the same in both instances. Under XP, the iPod also appears as a storage device, but does not appear in iTunes.

Plugging in the iPod Shuffle will launch iTunes [so the OS recognizes it], but it will not populate in the devices section [iTunes does not recognize it].

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes utilizing the most recent version in both instances, which does not assist with iPod recognition

The technical documents stipulate that that to get your iPod to populate in iTunes you need to restore the iPod. It then stipulates that to restore your iPod you must do through the devices console iTunes.

Still looking for a solution.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have a solution:

Apple has released a utility for the iPod Shuffle the will restore it to the factory default settings without iTunes:

For Mac:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...103formac.html

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...101formac.html

For Pc:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...orwindows.html

I've just implemented it and it seems to work.

I hope this helps others.

Topic: How to restore iPod without iTunes ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.