Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to erase everything in iTunes and start over

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Junior Lounger

How to erase everything in iTunes and start over

I now realize that I have TWO of each file and that NEITHER file shows the play count and rating from my previous computer. Furthermore, none of my playlists show up.

For this reason, I would like to know how I can erase EVERYTHING in my iTunes library (music, videos, etc.) and start over.

I used this tutorial to move all my music: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Someone please tell me how I can erase everything and start over so I can transfer all my music and playlists and music information (stars, play counts) from my iBook to my MacBook

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM

To erase iTunes go to Edit>Select all and press the delete key for each section to send it to the trash can then empty it. Read the options below first.

Choose one of these options:

1. Using Migration Assistant to transfer files

2. Transfer from Old Mac - see the second post.

3. If the songs are on your iPod then you can transfer them back to the computer with the iPod data but if you auto sync then first update the iPod. You can use Senuti, which is free, will transfer ratings, playlists & play counts but not last played. See Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide for other 3rd party software that will work on a Mac.

This article will show you which files to move under The Files and Folders iTunes Needs ''The Complete Guide to Backing Up iPod & iTunes Music''. You will need to move the files into the same location that the ones on your new Mac are located. Only if you use the iPod to move the files to the Mac.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks!

I think I have downloaded Senuti. I have deleted everything from my library on my MacBook, restored my iPod, and am now transferring all the files from my old iBook to my iPod.

Are there any precautions for using Senuti? Any other things I should know?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Junior Lounger

I just transferred all my songs using Senuti but the play count and rating isn't showing up! HELP!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Go to the website and read the helps under support. The links are on the right hand side of the page.

It might have a preference section or settings.

Topic: How to erase everything in iTunes and start over

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.