iTunes 7.3: Ignoring symbols in browser (sorting) is not always a good idea. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 7.3: Ignoring symbols in browser (sorting) is not always a good idea.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM

iTunes 7.3: Ignoring symbols in browser (sorting) is not always a good idea.

The new version of iTunes 7.3 no longer sorts artists' names that begin with numbers ahead of those that begin with letters. For example, "50 Cent" used to be listed before "Aceyalone." iTunes 7.3 now would put "50 Cent" (and any other artist that starts with a number) at the end of the list. While a little odd, I can live with this.

However, the purpose for this thread is that iTunes now also ignores symbols at the beginning of an artists' name, and sorts it according to the first letter in the name. This, quite frankly, sucks.

For certain artists, it doesn't matter, and actually makes sense. For example, an artist like "Weird Al" Yankovic would no longer be at the top of the artist list based upon the quotation mark. Instead, it ignores the quotation mark and sorts it under "W." That's fine.

However, it falls apart when you have artists with other symbols. One of mine that got botched up was ?uestlove -- one of the guys in The Roots. It starts with a "?," but is pronounced like "Questlove." Before, he was at the beginning of the list of artists. Now, iTunes 7.3 wants to sort him under the "u" because that's the first letter. That's not workable, as I'd never think to look for him under the "u." So, to make it workable, I had to change it to "Questlove," even though that's technically not correct.

Perhaps there aren't enough artists like this to warrant a special rule, but it kind of sucks and I just thought I'd mention it.

-GG

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Veteran Lounger

I thought some albums were missing when '74 Jailbreak, 2007 Grammys and #1's were missing from the top. I found them at the very bottom while scrolling and thought this was a strange decision.
Thanks for informing everybody about it.

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo4
... and thought this was a strange decision..
It's not just a "strange" decision, but a downright moronic one. First off, anybody bright enough to use a computer knows that symbols and numbers sort before alphabetical characters. Second off, what was the whole point of introducing the ability to customise sorting in 7.2 if they were just going to turn around and bork it with 7.3?

Now I've 10,000 Maniacs at the end and no way to restore basic alphanumeric order without changing the name. Beautiful.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 PM

It's actually worse than that... If you adjust the "Sort Order" fields for some, but not all of your tracks from a given album, iTunes will actually create two entries in your album listing (in the browser) for that one album, with the tracks that have a different set of sort order fields defined listed separately.

Sounds like somebody messed up somewhere along the way, and I'm actually wondering if all of this weird sorting is deliberate, or is a side-effect of some other changes that weren't supposed to be as widespread.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington
It's actually worse than that... If you adjust the "Sort Order" fields for some, but not all of your tracks from a given album, iTunes will actually create two entries in your album listing (in the browser) for that one album, with the tracks that have a different set of sort order fields defined listed separately.

Sounds like somebody messed up somewhere along the way, and I'm actually wondering if all of this weird sorting is deliberate, or is a side-effect of some other changes that weren't supposed to be as widespread.
I hope you're right. I guess it could just be a mistake, because like Code Monkey said, the numbers should come first.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 06-30-2007, 02:37 AM

Veteran Lounger

You're exactly right. Apple was really jacked up about quickly adding the iPhone feature for it that they just sent out a bugged version. They're going to get a lot of complaints for this one. Numbers come before letters, its basic knowledge when organizing.

I feel bad for users like Code Monkey who says he has 10,000 tracks with numbers at the front and symbols. Damn. I see a 7.4 being released very soon.

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
that's already annoys me now when i have a misspelled artist name from badly tagged songs, now this will annoy me even further because not all of my songs are not numbered by track number, will i be affected?

my last FM

iPod classic 6G 80GB Black
iSkin Evo3 Blue with Sennheiser CX300 headphones
28.09 GB of music.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Aren't you supposed to set ALL songs of an album with the same sort order? Possibly using the "Apply Sort Order..." command.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Yes, one would expect that you're supposed to do this, but not only is this a weird thing if you don't, but the "Apply Sort Order..." command no longer works either, since iTunes now sees the entries with different sort orders as different albums.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Reclined Lounger

Are playlists that start with characters also affected? All my favorite playlists start with special characters so they end up at the top of the list.

iPhone 4s and various old iPhones and iPods
Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronism
Are playlists that start with characters also affected? All my favorite playlists start with special characters so they end up at the top of the list.
At least with all the special characters I use for my playlists, no.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

Glad I ticked "No" tonight when I opened iTunes. I assumed it would be iPhone related, and not too helpful to me. Not that I ever tick yes before coming here first to check out bugs, but I was hoping it was going to fix a bug I seemed to have picked up since 7.2. For some reason when I open iTunes, and only on rare occasions, it takes me through the set up procedure and goes about adding all files again. The painful part of that is, I have a folder for music I've deleted out of iTunes ready to throw on my external due to my library getting too large, and it keeps adding it back in. Not a biggie though, I just change the folder name, I eventually get to the ! and delete them out. A little frustrating though, as I like to keep it neat, but sick of going right through it to take them out now.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Yes, unless you have an Apple TV or an iPhone, or wnat to reverse-transfer purchased iTunes Plus tracks (from iPod back to library), there aren't really any other significant reasons to bother upgrading.

Even the Apple TV support is only useful if you want to stream photos from your library rather than syncing them to the Apple TV.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey
At least with all the special characters I use for my playlists, no.
I can confirm this, too. My playlists that start with special characters are still at the top of the list.

This may be wishful thinking, but this does seem to imply that the issue with browser sorting was simply a mistake that will be fixed in the next update.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Pro Lounger

is it just me, or has Apple gotten to the point that each update is worse than the last? this seems to apply not only to itunes, but to firmware versions of my 5 gen 60gb ipod video and my 2 gen ipod nano as well

Topic: iTunes 7.3: Ignoring symbols in browser (sorting) is not always a good idea.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.