Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Removing Numberation in front of Song Titles

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Junior Lounger

Removing Numberation in front of Song Titles

A lot of the songs I have in itunes/on the ipod have songs in which the beginning of the title starts of with a number. For ex: "11 Brokenhearted Dreamer" . I have hundreds (thousands?) of songs with this numberation and editing them individually takes forever because itunes lags when it saves new edits to title information.

Is there a way to mass edit this numberation out so that I those song would be listed alphabetically with the other songs?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Veteran Lounger

Are the titles (what you see in an iTunes listing) numbered, or are the file names (what you see in Windows Explorer or Finder) numbered? If the titles are showing up numbered, that's a bug. If it's the files, that's controllable -- you can make iTunes stop doing it by unchecking two prefs: Prefs>Advanced>General>Keep iTunes Music folder organized and Prefs>Advanced>Importing>Create files names with track numbers.

As to changing your existing files, maybe someone will come along with good software for the job. (On a Mac, it's hard to go wrong with Better Finder Rename. If you run any scripting software -- a shell, VB, Perl, etc. -- it's not too tough to roll your own.)
Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Junior Lounger

Both the files and the corresponding titles are numbered. I guess that is where itunes got the numbering from. But even so, now I want to be able to remove the numbering of the current songs in a mass way because iTunes lags when saving edits to title information.

I will try those two things you suggested incase they can retroactively change the numberation.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 PM

They won't change the numbering if it's in the track titles itself, since that's a tag within the files, and in fact the file names will maintain the numbers since they're based on whatever is in the song name field.

You could try using a third-party tagging utility such as Tag & Rename or MP3Tag to mass-edit the tag info within the files themselves. Keep in mind, however, that this may not be immediately reflected within iTunes itself, as it only reads the tag information when you direclty access the song file. Reloading your entire library onto your iPod might trigger a reload of the internal tag information, however.

Just as a side-note to what S2_Mac mentioned above, if you do toggle the "Create file names with track numbers" setting, you can force iTunes to rename all of the files by unchecking and REchecking the i"Keep iTunes Music folder organized" setting.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Veteran Lounger

PLEASE say you have a Mac?
Doug has an excellent AppleScript I use often, with the funky name "Remove n Characters From Front or Back v2.0"
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...p=removenchars
Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Junior Lounger

I do not have a Mac.

Topic: Removing Numberation in front of Song Titles

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.