Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 7.2 Screwed Up; Can't Uninstall or Reinstall

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Junior Lounger

iTunes 7.2 Screwed Up; Can't Uninstall or Reinstall

Apple Software Update on my PC alerted me to download an update to 7.2, so I went ahead and let it. I can't quite tell why though, as I'd already installed 7.2 manually. Maybe Apple Software Update didn't realize this?

However, it seems like it got in some sort of error. It gives me an error saying the file it is looking for is on a network resource that is unavailable, and then asks me to browse for the iTunes.msi file. It suggests the path in Apple Software Update/Packages/iTunes.msi, and there is a file there, but it doesn't seem to like it.

The only option is to cancel, and it then says that it couldn't remove the older version.

It seems like my install is kind of borked at this point, as I can't run the installer or uninstall it.

The odd thing is, when I manually launch iTunes.exe, it does seem to work (although it gives an error saying that iTunes isn't properly installed, and that if I want to retrieve information from the Internet I need to reinstall). I'm not sure what the practical ramifications are yet though, as it does at least connect to the iTunes Store.

At this point I'd be happy just fixing my installation again, as it seems screwed up right now.

Any ideas? I did some searches for similar errors, but couldn't find anything that seems to solve this issue. I'd be happy to get to a point where I could just do a fresh install of iTunes, but Windows won't let me remove it from add/remove (i get to the same point where it looks for iTunes.msi and says it isn't available).

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Follow all the instructions, especially the installer clean up. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews
Follow all the instructions, especially the installer clean up. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976
Yeah, that's the problem, I can't get past these steps:

Quote:
# Select iTunes from the list of currently installed programs, then click Remove or Uninstall.
# In Windows XP and Windows 2000, when asked if you would like to remove iTunes, select Yes.
# In Windows Vista, if your permission is needed to continue, click Continue.
# After uninstalling iTunes, do not restart if you are prompted to.
When I try to Remove it, it runs the uninstaller, but it gets to a point where it says the file is on a network or resource that is no longer available, and asks me to manually locate iTunes.msi. There is an iTunes.msi file in C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Packages\ but when I select that, it doesn't seem to accept it (I noticed from looking at the version number that the iTunes.msi program in that Packages directory is the same as the "new" version). So it doesn't let me choose "OK", and the only option is to Cancel, at which point the uninstaller quits saying it couldn't remove iTunes.

And I am an administrator (at least I'm pretty sure I am, I only have one account on my PC).
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Might be time for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm not sure if my problem comes under this thread, but I am having some issues with iTunes 7.2. I have a Windows XP computer. It seems to take forever to open. When it did open, todayto sync my iPod, iTunes wouldn't acknowledge my iPod. I re-booted, which meant I had to take out my iPod, which I reconnected while the "Do Not Disconnect" message was appearing on my iPod. When I finally got iTunes open and to acknowledge an iPod, the seriel number wouldn't show, and all the other items said NA.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes? Will the music I burned on to iTunes be wiped out?

Thanks for your patience.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Reclined Lounger

for the original poster.. just download the itunessetup.exe from apple.com.. and run it may have an uninstaller built-in.

120GB iPod classic | 2G U2 iPod | 2G iPod shuffle | iPhone 3GS 32GB white
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerock
for the original poster.. just download the itunessetup.exe from apple.com.. and run it may have an uninstaller built-in.
Yes, that's what I've done..... as I explained though, the uninstaller that iTunes uses gets stuck (saying it can't remove the old iTunes installation, and saying the iTunes.msi file isn't the right one or something).

I'm going to try the other advice here about manually cleaning up the Windows add/remove stuff, etc.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadillo
Yes, that's what I've done..... as I explained though, the uninstaller that iTunes uses gets stuck (saying it can't remove the old iTunes installation, and saying the iTunes.msi file isn't the right one or something).

I'm going to try the other advice here about manually cleaning up the Windows add/remove stuff, etc.
I'm having the same problem with it not finding the iTunes.msi
Old 06-24-2007, 04:42 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegirl612
I'm having the same problem with it not finding the iTunes.msi
Did you try the steps outlined here?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976
Old 06-24-2007, 09:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essin
Did you try the steps outlined here?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976
That's the big problem; the steps outlined there don't work because it never lets you remove iTunes (you get to the same point where it tries to run its uninstaller script, tries to find the old iTunes.msi, can't find it, and the uninstall cancels out with an error).
Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

http://www.daitengu.com/2007/03/23/h...lem-on-windows
I followed the steps in this website & I was finally able to install iTunes correctly. I hope this helps!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegirl612
http://www.daitengu.com/2007/03/23/h...lem-on-windows
I followed the steps in this website & I was finally able to install iTunes correctly. I hope this helps!
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

iTunes 7.3 came out today, and I was sure that with a new version I wouldn't have a problem any more. But I did anyway, it still gave the same error.

I followed your advice, ran the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and iTunes 7.3 installed just fine!

Thank you again!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadillo
Apple Software Update on my PC alerted me to download an update to 7.2, so I went ahead and let it. I can't quite tell why though, as I'd already installed 7.2 manually. Maybe Apple Software Update didn't realize this?

However, it seems like it got in some sort of error. It gives me an error saying the file it is looking for is on a network resource that is unavailable, and then asks me to browse for the iTunes.msi file. It suggests the path in Apple Software Update/Packages/iTunes.msi, and there is a file there, but it doesn't seem to like it.

The only option is to cancel, and it then says that it couldn't remove the older version.

It seems like my install is kind of borked at this point, as I can't run the installer or uninstall it.

The odd thing is, when I manually launch iTunes.exe, it does seem to work (although it gives an error saying that iTunes isn't properly installed, and that if I want to retrieve information from the Internet I need to reinstall). I'm not sure what the practical ramifications are yet though, as it does at least connect to the iTunes Store.

At this point I'd be happy just fixing my installation again, as it seems screwed up right now.

Any ideas? I did some searches for similar errors, but couldn't find anything that seems to solve this issue. I'd be happy to get to a point where I could just do a fresh install of iTunes, but Windows won't let me remove it from add/remove (i get to the same point where it looks for iTunes.msi and says it isn't available).

The exact same thing happened to me. My solution was actually a bit odd, for me at least. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit and have always had the UAC off. So I turned it on just to see what happens, and the iTunes installation proceeds as if there was no problem in the world. My guess is that the computer cannot get permission to write/delete/modify protected files...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:24 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycap
The exact same thing happened to me. My solution was actually a bit odd, for me at least. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit and have always had the UAC off. So I turned it on just to see what happens, and the iTunes installation proceeds as if there was no problem in the world. My guess is that the computer cannot get permission to write/delete/modify protected files...
This thread is more than a year old. You're not running the 7.2 installer are you?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Yay!!!!

tytytyty! I took the time to register here just to let you know I was so grateful for that link to the clean up thing! lol

AFter 3 days of stress, this worked for me, it took iTunes and Quicktime completely off, thank you so much!

Topic: iTunes 7.2 Screwed Up; Can't Uninstall or Reinstall

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.