Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why does iTunes change my song's names?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Why does iTunes change my song's names?

A couple of weeks ago I spent some 2 or 3 hours and changed the Name and Artist of many songs on my library (call me weird, but I don't like the way some duets were named so I prefer to have just the "main artist" as artist and put the other in the song name...).

Anyway, yesterday I noticed that iTunes had put the original Name and Artist of the songs. So, I'll have to spend again another 2-3 hrs to change them. But I don't want iTunes to rename them again.

So, how do I stop iTunes from renaming them?

Can anyone help me?

Note: I use iTunes 7.1 on Win XP.

PS: I think I read somewhere that iTunes looks into the id3 names of the songs (not the file name but this other id that Windows keeps). So I guess what I want is to block iTunes from doing so or, alternatively, to change the id3 names? Anyone knows how to do it?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Make sure you change all your Name and Artists within iTunes, and at the extreme using the Get Info dialog to do it. You can use inline editing, which is editing the name and artist columns right there in browse view.

Your point about iTunes looking at id3 tags is valid. What you might have changed is the id3 v1 tags (somehow) and itunes reads the higher spec id3 v2 tags. So whatever you originally used to change the songs in your library only affected the id3 v1 tags and not propogated to the v2 tags and therefore STILL showing "artist feat. sub-artist" in iTunes.

Its like in the olden days of winamp when you went to change the file info properties of the mp3 file and you were given one window with two parts to it showing nearly the same information. Except left side showed the v1 tags and right side the v2 tags.

To summarize: if you must change all your songs details, do it inside iTunes.
Or if you have some other program. I use mp3tag (powerful, and would probably only take you 15 mins to perform what took you 2-3 hours) remove your songs from itunes, change them in your favourite id tagger, then import them into itunes library.

3G iPod Touch 32GB - SwitchEasy NeoTouch White | 5.5G 80GB Black - iSkin eVoł Eclipse Black |
Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks.
The thing is, well, I changed the Name and Artist within iTunes (double-click on the main window). Why could it be?
Tks for the idea of using other software. I'll look into it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 PM

Reclined Lounger

I have had the problem of itunes changing my genre tags back frequently. I convert the files to AAC (right-click, convert file to...) and this stops itunes from changing the tags. I'm not sure why, though.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Junior Lounger

go to the actual file and check if the file is "Read-Only" (read-only is bad for you).

Not sure but it could help.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have had I-tunes change genres (and other things) on me. When adding a song to library, first I do not allow I-tunes to connect to the internet. Then do all tag editing within I-tunes, then I make the song "read only", then let I-tunes connect to the internet. Works for me.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:56 AM

Veteran Lounger

iTunes will only connect to the internet when you rip CD's and when you get album covers from the iTunes Store. It does not pick random information from the internet when you play songs.
Now, Windows Media Player on the other hand...
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee
Your point about iTunes looking at id3 tags is valid. What you might have changed is the id3 v1 tags (somehow) and itunes reads the higher spec id3 v2 tags. So whatever you originally used to change the songs in your library only affected the id3 v1 tags and not propogated to the v2 tags and therefore STILL showing "artist feat. sub-artist" in iTunes.

Its like in the olden days of winamp when you went to change the file info properties of the mp3 file and you were given one window with two parts to it showing nearly the same information. Except left side showed the v1 tags and right side the v2 tags.
So how can one be sure that they are changing the v2 tags??
Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

It's entirely possible iTunes changed its library but not the actual files. It works for awhile until iTunes needs to read the files again and bam!

I too am picky about naming my stuff just so, and have opted to do this OUTSIDE of iTunes (telling iTunes no thanks, I'll manage my own stuff), then no matter what happends, the stuff I spent countless hours on, are firmly attached to the files. I mean the ID3 tags. The names of the files are actually not important.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Senior Lounger

How do you do this "outside" of iTunes when using a PC?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultan
How do you do this "outside" of iTunes when using a PC?
Use ur favorite ID3 batch tagger.

Topic: Why does iTunes change my song's names?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.