Reinstalled windows, Itunes can't find songs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

edm203

Greetings,

I just restored my computer and placed all my music back to the folder I originally had them. The problem is that on the playlists I created, Itunes can't find the music (file not found) and I have to search for each song one by one.

I might be wrong, but I think the path names are stored in the itunes.xml. I tried altering them so the path names would supposedly be correct (find and replace in dreamweaver), but that did not work.

Anyone know how I can restore Itunes to automatically find the songs I want it to play on my play list? I don't want to fix each song one by one.

bwh79

The path names are written to, but are not read from, the XML file. They are read from the ITL file in the same folder. That XML is just there so that other programs can have access to the library information.

Instead of editing the XML to reflect where the files are, try moving the files to where the XML shows iTunes expects them to be.

If the songs and playlists are still on your iPod, you can use a utility such as PodUtil to pull the info from the iPod into iTunes. Read this thread for more information.

Barring those two options, you're stuck with re-importing the files into the new library, which will leave you without playlists or metadata (rating, play count, last-played date).

Last edited: