Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: transfer on-the-go playlists without syncing

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

transfer on-the-go playlists without syncing

My itunes library is huge and terribly organized because it's currently just a collection of all the music I've collected during college and other people's collections, etc.

I have an ipod mini, so I've been manually filling it up alphabetically, and then adding all the songs I want to delete from my library to an on-the-go playlist while I'm out. So far, I have just been manually looking at my on-the-go playlist in itunes and then going in and manually deleting each song from my itunes library. Then I delete all songs from my ipod and move on down the alphabet.

I would like to be able to transfer my on-the-go playlist to my itunes library and then just delete all the songs in that playlist at once, instead of having to do each song manually. As far as I know you can only transfer on-the-go playlists if you have your ipod set up to sync (which I do not). Is there any other way to transfer on-the-go playlists from an ipod to itunes on a mac?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Reclined Lounger

yeah you would do this the same way you take songs off your ipod and put them on the computer...try a third party program like copypod
i think this is what you need...

Blackbook
8GB iPod Touch
Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

I don't think I explained myself very well. I basically want to be able to mark the songs I want to delete while I'm out and then delete those songs from my library when I return. How can I do this?

I've figured out how to sync only a particular playlist and then transfer my on-the-go playlist into itunes that way, but then there's no way to take all the songs from that on-the-go playlist and permanently delete them from the library, it only deletes them from the playlist.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:08 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallywag
...it only deletes them from the playlist.
Select all the songs on the playlist, then hold down shift + delete on your keyboard.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Reclined Lounger

make an on the go playlist while you're out then when you get back highlight the playlist in itunes (under your ipod) ((actually highlight the music))and click show in - music....then you press delete...thats the easiest way i can think of

Blackbook
8GB iPod Touch
Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM

NOT a mind reader

Why not use the rating system to keep track of the songs you want to delete? Rate the ones you want to get rid of with 1 star.

When you sync your iPod back to your iTunes library, check your library for the songs with 1 star and delete.

** This only works if you are using automatic sync (Full or selected playlists), not manual sync.

QFT: "The iPod is not a device in which you can store your music collection w/o having it backed up using another option. - honeybee1236"
-----
iLounge URLs: iPod/iTunes Beginner's Guide | Copy Music from iPod to Computer | iPod 101/201 | iPod FAQs | Last 24h. | vBulletin FAQ

Apple URLs: Battery Test | iPod manuals | iPod 101 | iPod Higher learning | iTunes Support | iPod and iPhone: TV Out support | Setting Vol. Limit | iPod with 2+ computers | How much stuff will fit?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

OK the option+delete shortcut (on my mac) is just what I was looking for. Now I just auto-sync my ipod to a single "under review" playlist (to be able to transfer my on-the-go playlist), and while I'm out I add the song/album/artist I don't want to an on-the-go playlist. Then when I sync up to iTunes, I just select all the songs from the on-the-go list (which auto-transfers into my itunes playlists), do an option+delete and move on to the next batch.

@mithra- while the rating system could work as well, I'm using the playlist option because I can add entire artists/albums all at once to the on-the-go list; ratings would have to be applied individually i think.

Thanks guys!

p.s. can anyone think of the reason they don't allow you to transfer on-the-go playlists from your ipod if you use manual syncing?

Topic: transfer on-the-go playlists without syncing

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.