Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: "Get Info" for tracks - greyed out

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:52 AM

Pro Lounger

"Get Info" for tracks - greyed out

problem with iTunes 7.02

i can edit album info ok in "get info".

but selecting individual tracks to edit in "get info", i find the fields are greyed out. i can't edit them. this is for all my music.

whilst in "get info" (individual track), there are four tabs: "summary", "info", "options", "artwork" - if a track is missing artwork, there is no "artwork" tab present!

anyone have ideas why i'm unable to edit tracks? should i go back to 6.5 (again )

cheers

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 AM

You should make sure itunes is pointing toward your music folder. When track fields are greyed out it means itunes can't find the tracks. Are the songs on your internal drive or an external?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 AM

Pro Lounger

yeah it's strange... music is there, it syncs like it should - no exclamation marks next to tracks. i'm refering to, specifically, when i want to edit info - select one track & right click - "get info" - info fields are showing but greyed out... a track with missing artwork will only have three of the four tabs available, as mentioned above. not possible to paste art into it,
or edit the tracks info.
anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 AM

1-Do the songs play in iTunes?
2-Have you tried adding artwork into the pane in iTunes?
3- Is the track location under summary the same as the actual location?
4-Have the tracks been moved?
5-Are songs on external hard drive or internal?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 AM

Forgot to ask are you running widows xp or vista?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Pro Lounger

yes, cheers, it's on XP, music in the same place... i went from iTunes 7 back to 6.5, then i wanted to update my ipod so got back up to 7.2 with built in updater... i can paste art into the pane for albums in general, also in "get info" when selecting a whole album, but for existing albums theres the odd corruption with editing single track info (not to mention the odd missing artwork)... maybe the problem is in my .itl file, not sure. is there a program that can rebuild the .itl file database? i'd rather not have to re-rip evrything. i'll import something else to see if that is effected too...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, did you fix this problem?

I'm having the same/very similar problem myself. I added a batch of about 30 mp3s to iTunes (latest version) by dragging them in from Windows Explorer, then I highlighted them all to Edit Multiple Items. I noticed that one of the tracks hadn't editted along with the others. Right-clicked that individual track, hit the Get Info tab and all the options are greyed out. Can't change a thing.

Deleted all those mp3s, this time added them through File > Add Folder. Tried to Edit Multiple Items again and exactly the same happened, but this time to 3 tracks! Baffling.

Sorry to bump an old thread, didn't think it was worth starting afresh though. Any help welcome, this is hella irritating!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM

These tracks are like write restricted. Make sure you have both read and write permission to all files in your iTunes folder.

You can select a track in iTunes and go directly to it in your hard drive by selecting ctrl-R.

I think you'll need to right click and select properties of the files themselves to straighten it out.

Not sure if you can just make sure you have read/write to the entire folder...

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

hey,

i'm having the same problems with iTunes with 7.7.1.11.

I am using Vista with an external hard drive. Whenever i open the songs either iTunes or windows will change the read only box to be filled with a box (not a tick)...

wondering if this has something to do with the option to keep my folder organised??

here are some pix to help explain...

ideas?

sorry... it isn't letting me post pix... but here is the url..

img186.imageshack.us/img186/8202/itunes1gb7.jpg

img246.imageshack.us/img246/9554/itunes2eu0.jpg

annoying thing is that it isn't happening on all songs that are stored on the hard drive....

any ideas... some of the songs that iTunes has found names for are wrong and it's really irkin me!!

thanks!!

ringo
Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Veteran Lounger

Letting iTunes manage your files should have no effect on their write status (unless you picked a read-only directory for use as your iTunes Music folder). Looks like all you need to do is give your files write permissions.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

me too...

I am having some bizarre problems. I has this problem some time ago, but it happens so randomly, that I can't ever pinpoint what has changed, or what might be causing it.

I updated to a new version of iTunes a few days ago (iTunes 9), and it started happening.

I realized that the new version of iTunes was set to keep my folders organized in the C drive, in the iTunes folder, but the rest of my library is set (or was) to organize in the K drive. SO... I changed the setting in iTunes, and deleted the tracks from my library, except 4 of the tracks I deleted didn't delete, and they are still in my library, and I am unable to do anything with them, and of course, they are greyed out.

This is making me bonkers, it is such a weird problem. Everytime I search for a solution to this problem, I always find the "check for allowance/write only/" solution, but I'm fairly sure that's not the problem..any help out there?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Get Info" for tracks - greyed out

I had the same problem and i'm using ITunes 9.
To solve the problem, right click on the song that info is greyed out, and click on Create MP3 version, this will create a copy of it,with this new one you should be able to edit info, it worked for me on two files that were probably corrupted, i deleted the old ones Bye
Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have this problem too! I'm using winXP and when I import 40 or 50 mp3s and 5 or 6 of them would not allow artwork to be added and the tag info is greyed out. I tried deleting them and reimporting them but no help. then I discovered a solution... if you have mp3s greyed out and you're certain that the "read only" attribute is NOT set, you can simply close and re-open iTunes. the greyed-out tags should be cleared and artwork should now be updatable.
hope this works for you as well it did for me.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up *Random* Greyed Out Track Info

Simply re-starting iTunes Worked !!
(I think "tunes" 9.0 just doesn't like XP )

Imported a store-bought CD of music - into it's own lil' folder.
Unchecked read only in music folder properties. (Double checked each track's properties individually after I got problems...)

Random track in folder greyed out in iTunes info.

Closed iTunes and then re-opened it - problem solved...
(for now ?)

Thank you for the help.
John

Topic: "Get Info" for tracks - greyed out

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.