Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Purchased music intentionally deleted. But now -- how to delete from iPod??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Purchased music intentionally deleted. But now -- how to delete from iPod??

I recently deleted a bunch of purchased music from iTunes -- intentionally. (Some were duplicates, or I ripped higher bit-rate copies from CDs, whatever.)

But those songs are still on my iPod. So now, when I sync my iPod, I'm asked if i want to copy those songs to iTunes. I can say no -- and I can even say "don't ask me again," -- but the real problem is: How do I get those songs off of my iPod? I didn't keep a list of the deleted songs because I thought that by syncing, the songs deleted in iTunes would have also been deleted from the iPod.

(I can see where this behavior can protect us from losing music, but in this case, I *want* the songs removed from the iPod!) How can I do this without completely erasing and reloading my iPod??

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Dim
Pro Lounger

That's weird because when I've deleted purchased songs from my library and get asked that question upon synching, I select 'don't transfer' and it then deletes it from my ipod as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

Manually manage your music and remove the songs on your ipod through itunes.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim
That's weird because when I've deleted purchased songs from my library and get asked that question upon synching, I select 'don't transfer' and it then deletes it from my ipod as well.
Well, I'll have to check. I was going by what iTunes told me. After notifying me that there were purchased songs on the iPod that were not in iTunes, it asked, "Would you like to copy the purchased songs from the iPod into iTunes?" I answered "no."

At that point, it did not indicate that it was going to then *delete* those songs from the iPod. That's actually what I would *like* it to do, but no indication was given that that was what would happen.

The reason this is tricky is I don't remember all of the songs I deleted. I did that over a week ago and didn't sync my iPod right away. So now, I have to figure out which songs I deleted intentionally in order to determine if they are still on the iPod or not.

If the songs were deleted from my iPod, that's great! I just wish iTunes had mentioned that that would happen. That would have cleared it up for me.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqhog
Manually manage your music and remove the songs on your ipod through itunes.
Thanks. I guess you missed the part where I wrote: "I didn't keep a list of the deleted songs...."

:-)
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Junior Lounger

I had the same problem, and made the same assumption as you. iTunes never specifically stated that the purchased music that was still on the iPod would be deleted. I sort of assumed it was just still on my iPod. Never got around to actually checking or looking into removing them manually.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1
I had the same problem, and made the same assumption as you. iTunes never specifically stated that the purchased music that was still on the iPod would be deleted. I sort of assumed it was just still on my iPod. Never got around to actually checking or looking into removing them manually.
Exactly. I guess I'll have to try to determine which songs I deleted (even just a couple of the titles), then check the iPod to see if they're there or not.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 PM

I've done this before.

If you delete from iTunes and on next sync you get the "Found purchased music would you like to transfer to iTunes" and have the options to Transfer or don't transfer, and you select "don't transfer" after the iPod finishes syncing, the songs will be deleted, because they are no longer in iTunes.

It doesn't warn you, it doesn't say they will be deleted at this point, it just deletes them (You get the warning that songs you delete from iTunes will be deleted from iPods on next sync when you delete from iTunes).

So sync completed, the songs SHOULD be gone.

I just did this with an Old Courtney Love song that was free on iTunes a while back. I have barely listened to it in the last three years, so I trashed it. It's no longer on my iPod after selecting "don't transfer" and allowing it to sync.

You can take faith that more likely than not what you deleted from iTunes is likely no longer on your iPod if you told iTunes no to the transfer.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Dim
Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopator
Well, I'll have to check. I was going by what iTunes told me. After notifying me that there were purchased songs on the iPod that were not in iTunes, it asked, "Would you like to copy the purchased songs from the iPod into iTunes?" I answered "no."

At that point, it did not indicate that it was going to then *delete* those songs from the iPod. That's actually what I would *like* it to do, but no indication was given that that was what would happen.
Bottom line is, if you chose 'don't transfer' and no longer get that prompt, you can be assured they were deleted from the ipod assuming they're no longer in itunes. Yes, itunes is very ambiguous about this, but it's how it seems to work for myself and others.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by studogvetmed
It doesn't warn you, it doesn't say they will be deleted at this point, it just deletes them (You get the warning that songs you delete from iTunes will be deleted from iPods on next sync when you delete from iTunes).

So sync completed, the songs SHOULD be gone.

[snip]

You can take faith that more likely than not what you deleted from iTunes is likely no longer on your iPod if you told iTunes no to the transfer.
Awesome reply. Thanks!

Topic: Purchased music intentionally deleted. But now -- how to delete from iPod??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.