Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Cannot add file (downloaded mp3) to itunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cannot add file (downloaded mp3) to itunes library

This is driving me crazy - I am using itunes 6.05.20 and have never had a problem with it before (had lots of problems with itunes 7, then went back to the tried and true!). Anyway, I have an mp3 file that I downloaded that I am trying to add to itunes. I tried both 'import' and 'add file to library'. Nothing happens. Same with dragging it from windows explorer to itunes. I can play the mp3 file in both real player and windows media player, but cannot play it through itunes either. I have added loads of mp3s in the past, so it's not that I don't know what I'm doing. I also looked in my itunes directory on my computer, and the file is not being copied there either. Anyone ever experience this before?

Last edited by shajack; 01-21-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Sometimes this can be caused by very long file names, or file names with strange (non-english) characters. There is also a possibility of tag issues causing this as well if I remember correctly.

I'm sure the people that use mp3 regularly can help more.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Check the file name as CJ suggests.

Try to open the file in a tag editor and make sure it has proper tags, if it doesn't have tags you may find that it did get added to iTunes, but the lack of tags is making it difficult to find.

Make sure that it is truely an MP3 file that is compatible with iTunes.

There is a chance the file is corrupt, you could perhaps try to download the file again.

Good luck.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same thing is happening to me if you look at my thread.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...69#post1060569

Just wanted to say that this is happening to some of my files, and the files are all fully tagged with v1.0/1 and v2.3 ID3 tags. All my files also don't have odd characters and what not in some tags such as Comment, etc.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

The name is not too long and there are no special characters in it. The tags seem to be fine too. And I don't think it's corrupt because I can play it through to the end with no problem with other software. It's just bizarre. In any case, I wound up downloading it again and this time it went in fine - I would just like to know how to prevent or resolve this again in the future. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Topic: Cannot add file (downloaded mp3) to itunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.