Music from iTunes - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Music from iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 PM

Pro Lounger

Music from iTunes

I was wondering how many of you download music from iTunes. After watching the Keynote yesterday, I couldn't believe the numbers that Jobs was giving in regards to the amount of downloads, etc. Just wondered how many loungers out there DL from iTunes or just get the cd instead. And if so, how many songs have you purchased from iTunes? Not the freebees, but the ones that cose money

I, myself, have purchased about a total of 12 songs.

I'm strongly considering purchasing from iTunes from here-on-out (if they have the songs/albums) I'm looking for. I'm running out of storage fast!

Click the image to open in full size.
Signature courtesy of iPotm
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Reclined Lounger

I buy singles sometimes from there. I would say I have bought a total of about 100 songs from the Itunes store. I don't mind buying from there since I rip my music to AAC 128 anyways. It saves me from having to drive across town and most of the time I can get the album cheaper from Itunes.

80GB 5.5 Gen Black|30GB Photo 4G|1G Silver Shuffle|9635 Songs|103 Videos|11 Photos
Dbpoweramp Lame Mp3 -v3
30gb White Zune|Zune Pass Monthly Subscription
Old 01-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Veteran Lounger

I won't purchase anything until they offer 192Kbps or better yet, lossless.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 PM

Senior Lounger

84 items purchased including music videos and freebies (about 5)
Old 01-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley
I won't purchase anything until they offer 192Kbps or better yet, lossless.
think that's ever going to happen, though?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Pro Lounger

I think I'll probably buy singles from iTunes and the full albums I know I would want on cd format. It's just going to cost TOO much money for me to buy cds for 1-2 songs (used cd stores or not) I pay 2 bux for 2 songs or 6.56 tx inclusive for one cd that has two songs that i like.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miTunes75
think that's ever going to happen, though?
I would hope so. The RealPlayer Music Store and Rhapsody both sell 192Kbps AAC files for the same price. From what I have read on RealNetworks' forums, demand for lossless files is high, even if the price for tracks was as much as 30-50% higher.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 AM

Pro Lounger

I think if this happens, I'll have NO problem whatsoever to go 100% digital format. I rip my cds in lossless now, but have them on ipod at 128aac as I only listen to my ipod through the car system (which isn't wonderful).

Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM

I've bought a lot of music from the iTunes Store. Probably about half of my library (exact count based on a smart playlist searching for the word "protected" is approximately 4,800 tracks, including video content as well).

That's actually rather frightening now that I look at it....

In my case, I don't care about the 128kbps bit rate, as I rip all of my music to that anyway, since I really can't hear the difference between that and anything higher (I've done blind ABX tests of my own to confirm this), and I don't find the DRM overly restrictive (in fact, it's probably the least-restrictive DRM out there).

In my case, I've made a conscious decision about the convenience factor versus the restrictions that this imposes upon me. I don't have the time to go shopping for CDs, nor do I have the space to store them. I have 400 CDs on my shelves already that have not been out of their cases since they were first imported into iTunes two years ago, and now I only buy the occasional CD for something that I really want that isn't available on iTunes, or that is a collector's item (ie, I want the liner notes and packaging).

I know that it will be a pain should I ever want to move away from an iPod-based world, but I don't see that happening any time soon, since I'm otherwise an all-Mac user. The fact that I can burn all of these tracks to CD is enough for me to feel future-proofed, and despite the paranoid ramblings of the anti-DRM folks, I don't expect Apple would ever reduce the burning restrictions to the point where I wouldn't be able to burn the tracks to CD at all.

Frankly, the effort of burning vs ripping is pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. I have a friend who buys music from the iTunes Store and burns every album to CD as he buys it, just to have a backup. It's actually technically easier than ripping, since you're not dealing with potentially dodgy track info from CDDB that has to be corrected.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Reclined Lounger

[QUOTE=jhollington]
despite the paranoid ramblings of the anti-DRM folks, I don't expect Apple would ever reduce the burning restrictions to the point where I wouldn't be able to burn the tracks to CD at all.

I guess I'm one of the aforementioned paranoid anti-DRM folks. I refuse to buy from iTunes solely because of I'm opposed to the DRM. It's true that it isn't that restrictive...I just feel morally obligated to boycott because I feel strongly that I should be allowed to own my music completely, given that I wouldn't be burning and distributing hundreds of cds to people.

That said, I still use iTunes for organizational purposes because I think it's the easiest.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 PM

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!

I dunno, I think I've downloaded around 20 items total since my computer last crashed. Usually it's the disks I buy because you can import them the way you want them to be.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Heh, to be fair I'm opposed to DRM as well, I'm just not that opposed to it (ie, I don't feel strongly enough about it to not buy from the iTunes Store, because it has provided a level of DRM I can live with).

But by "paranoid" I was referring to the folks that actually believe that Apple would eventually take away ALL burning rights in the future. Many folks cite the fact that Apple did reduce the burns-per-playlist from 10 to 7 a few years back, but there's a big difference between that and taking away the right to burn tracks at all (and to be fair, how many people really need to make even seven burns of the same playlist?)

I can't argue with those who oppose it on a philosophical basis, but I personally can't get that excited about it. In my case, as long as I have a very flexible option to burn to CD, I'm quite comfortable with the other restrictions, and in two years they have in no way affected my ability to enjoy my music... In fact, other than the need to occasionally reauthorize a new computer, they don't get in the way at all.

To be fair, the video content is a bit more bothersome, since there's no way out with that (you can't burn it to a DVD, for instance), but I still buy most of my movies on DVD if I consider them worth having. The couple I've bought from iTunes I look at in the same way as a rental or pay-per-view movie.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Reclined Lounger

Well said, Jhollington.

I guess, by that definition, I don't qualify as "paranoid" because I don't think Apple is stupid. Taking away all burning rights would be tantamount to slashing their customer base. I'm sure they realize that.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 AM

Pro Lounger

Well, I have bought about 12 "single trax" this last week. I've been pleased with them. I think that I'll only be buying cds from now on if the track/album is not avail on iTunes. It is the easiest, convienient way of doing things.

As far as backup. For some reason, I just don't trust burning them to CD. once you burn them to cd and import them into iTunes on a new HDD if your original crashes, do you still have drm rights to them? Are they still protected? If the $$$ can stretch, I'm going to purchase an additional HDD next paycheck so that I can put my purchases on backup. I think this would work best for me.

JHollington: I LOVE your posts. They made a lot of sense to me-->I definately understood where you were coming from.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

I would hazard to guess that I have spent several hundred dollars on iTunes. Not to mention that both my kids and my nephew have accounts and get $20 each a month to buy music. I feel sorry for those who are so wrapped up in and worried about what codec or bitrate the music is in to be able to enjoy it.

Topic: Music from iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.