Moving iTunes Library (slightly different problem) - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Moving iTunes Library (slightly different problem)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Senior Lounger

Moving iTunes Library (slightly different problem)

my iTunes library is separately organized into two 15GB folders located on two different drives on my computer.

i recently bought a new external HDD and id like to move both folders into the new HDD, i looked up the article on the ilounge tutorials and found that their situation is slightly different to mine, i dont have an iTunes music folder, i leave them in their raw folders and i add them into my iTunes lib.

if anyone can point out a way for my to move those two folders into the ext HDD id really appreciate your help, i would go ahead and give it a few stabs myself but considering im working with around 6000 songs and im kinda religious about how tidy my iTunes is im not gona take the chances.

thanx alot in advance !!

cheers
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, the only way you're going to be able to do this easily without letting iTunes manage your music library for you is to move the files to the new location and reimport them into iTunes. This will create duplicates unless you start a new library or remove the entries from your existing library first, and you will lose any rating, playcount, and playlist information for these tracks (as you'll be importing them as new tracks).

If you're willing to let iTunes reorganize your music into one large folder by ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNAME, then you can still use the "Consolidate Library" function described in the tutorial, regardless of where your music is presently stored, and this will take care of everything for you. However, iTunes is not designed to be able to easily move files between locations on a Windows platform and also keep the iTunes folder up to date (on a Mac, the underlying OS takes care of tracking file moves, so you actually can get away with this if you're moving your files to different locations on the same drive, but even OS X cannot track moves across different drives).

Another possibility is finding a program that can update the iTunes database to change the pathnames to the new locations. I'm not aware of a program that can do this off-hand, but you might be able to find something in our Software Downloads section or by doing a Google search.

Lastly, although a bit of a kludge, you might also be able to work around this problem by reassigning your drive letters. If you place your music in the same relative directory paths on the new drive, and then use an operating system tool to assign both of the original drive letters to that new drive, then iTunes should still be able to find the music on the new drive (since it will still be referencing the files from the same location as before, you've just pointed it to the new drive under the hood).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 AM

Senior Lounger

thanx for replying

say if i did want to let iTunes manage all my music, will i lose all my song names and albums/artists name? because not all of my collection has its song/album name embedded in its original file, i have changed/edited the names via iTunes many times after i have added them.

cheers
Old 01-06-2007, 04:21 AM

This shouldn't be a problem, as iTunes normally does update the tag information in the original file when editing track information in iTunes, so the actually song, album, and artist should be correctly embedded in the file.

The only information that is stored only in the iTunes database is information like rating and playcount.

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: Moving iTunes Library (slightly different problem)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.