Artist doesn't always show - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Artist doesn't always show

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Artist doesn't always show

When Importing new cds to itunes the Artist name doesn't always appear in the left hand side under artist when you view 'Library'>'Music' in the 'Show items in a list, grouped with artwork, or with cover browser' viewing screen.

For instance I imported the new Nelly Furtado Album and Both 'Nelly Furtado' appears under 'Artist' and 'Loose' appears under 'Album', but when I Imported Snow Patrol album Eyes Open only Eyes Open appear under the Album name and no sign of Snow Patrol appears on the left hand side for the artist.

It's a bit frustrating as if I can't remember the actual Albums name I can't find the Album.

Is there something I need to click or alter?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Do the song files have the artist tag at all? Make sure that all tag information is filled in before importing.

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Yes the Artist shows when Importing and also in the columns below when the Album is selected, in that I mean in my Columns Settings which are Name, Time, Artist, Album and Year.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Make sure the Album artist tag is filled. This could be the issue for the album grouping screen...

Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Junior Lounger

Done that selected the get info, then filled the Artist and Album Artist with the appropriate name and still nothing showing on the left hand side under Artist.

I've just deleted the Album as well and re imported it and it's done the same thing, getting quite baffled now.

When I call the album up after searching for it on the right side looking for the name of the album, I click it and the relevent album appears below showing under these columns in this order;

Name; Time; Artist; Album; Year; Album Artist;

all show there various infomation?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Under the itunes edit>preferences>advanced>general there is a box which is ticked that says 'keep itunes folder organized' is this more appropriate to be uncheck and then manually organise the files?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM

That preference only affects the folders on the hard drive, it does not affect how things are arranged in iTunes themselves...

Can you supply a screen shot of the problem?

Is the album in question have only one artist or multiple artists?

Links to common ?'s
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 AM

Junior Lounger

Album has only the one Artist in it.

How do I do a screen shot?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Are you windows?

Get the iTunes window in your screen where you want it and use the print screen button on your keyboard.

Upload the image to someplace like imageshack and post the url.

If there is an issue of the name showing up in the album view, there has to be something wrong with your tags that we aren't figuring out.

Links to common ?'s
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Junior Lounger

Bear with me, new to this bit but here goes;

Old 01-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Okay that worked, but what in the picture is the issue then?

thanks,
Stu

Links to common ?'s
Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Junior Lounger

Here's the offending Snow Patrol Album.

You'll see under 'all artists' lefthand side of main viewing screen Snow Patrol doesn't appear under Snoop.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Check to see if this Snow Patrol album is tagged as "Part of a Compilation". If it is, you can uncheck that, or go into iTunes preferences and uncheck the "Group Compilations When Browsing" option.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul
Check to see if this Snow Patrol album is tagged as "Part of a Compilation". If it is, you can uncheck that, or go into iTunes preferences and uncheck the "Group Compilations When Browsing" option.

Thats cracked it.

Thanks for that.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Crap Gary, I've been busting my chops on this one and you swing in at the last minute... ! Aren't you the big hero

Of course had I know the issue that artist was missing from the browse list, I may have come up with that... Maybe not. I thought we were talking about the second view of the library where the songs are all grouped by album with the album art on the left hand side and the artist name was missing from there. I was confused by the entire issue

I should have asked for a screen shot earlier

Good job Gary. Here are a couple more winks to assure my jokiness

Links to common ?'s

Topic: Artist doesn't always show

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.