Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Trouble Returning iTunes Gift Card

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM

Junior Lounger

Trouble Returning iTunes Gift Card

Just thought I'd share this tidbit with everyone...

I purchased three iTunes gift cards as Christmas presents from Targets. I received a $25.00 gift card as a gift..it came from Walgreens ( including the receipt ).

One of the people for whom I purchased a gift card from Target is not receiving an iPod for Christmas as I was originally told so I returned one of the gift cards... Target gave me the money back in cash.

I decided that I was not going to use the gift card that was given to me as a gift so I took it back to Walgreen for a refund. They refused..saying once the card had been activated the money was immediately transferred to Apple and I could not have a refund or store credit.

I went to the Apple store to purchase a Nano and told the folks at the store. They agreed..the cards are not refundable. HUMMMM.....

I returned a second gift card back to Target for the refund in the amount of the one I wanted to return for myself. They refunded it again, with no problem.

The small print on the back of the gift card is "cryptic" at best regarding refunds. I just find it interesting that Target will give you your money back, but The Apple Store and Walgreen will not.

I'm not complain'..... I'm just sayin'....

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Reclined Lounger

Not really too suprising on this, Target is probably eating the money on their card returns to make customers happy. Walgreens and the Apple Store are following proceeder. I wouldn't be so suprised on this though. Most gift cards are non-refundable now adays too. Sounds like Target is the place to get your giftcards from now on though.

80GB 5.5 Gen Black|30GB Photo 4G|1G Silver Shuffle|9635 Songs|103 Videos|11 Photos
Dbpoweramp Lame Mp3 -v3
30gb White Zune|Zune Pass Monthly Subscription
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Power Lounger

If you read the fine print, most gift cards will tell you that they are not transferrable and not redeemable for cash. The also tell you that the use of the card is subject to these terms and conditions. They go on to say that if you don't accept the terms and conditions, you can contact somebody (usually a phone number or an email address).

By not accepting their terms and conditions, you are not bound by the "non-refundable" clause which is, itself, part of the terms and conditions that you did not accept. You can usually get a refund if you complain hard enough. That's how we got cash for our "non-refundable" K-Mart gift cards last year. I don't know if iTunes gift cards work the same way, but you might try pushing just a little harder. Whenever somebody says they can't do it, just ask to speak to their superior. Eventually somebody will probably give you the cash (read: mail you a check) just to get you to go away.

[Edit: you'll most probably have to get the refund from Apple, though, if it's at all possible, rather than from the store at which you originally purchased the card.]

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
SmartLists by Code Monkey

Last edited by bwh79; 12-29-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:03 AM

Junior Lounger

Thank you BWH79.... that was some very good information. I didn't know about "not accepting their terms and conditions".....

Thanks again!
Chuck :- )

Topic: Trouble Returning iTunes Gift Card

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.