Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 7.01 won't recognize my library after re-installing

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes 7.01 won't recognize my library after re-installing

After having other issues - I deleted and reinstalled iTunes 7.01 to my windows pc.
I have all my tunes on an external hard drive.

Now, iTunes will not recongnize my library (purchased or otherwise) - i have no tunes showing in my library. I have over 8000 songs and cannot import one at a time.

I now know that I should not have deleted my personal .xml files - but i did.

How do I have iTunes recognize my library?

Thanks
LoungeActor

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 AM

If you don't have a backup of your "iTunes Library.itl" file, then you pretty much have no choice but to re-import your music.

Try using the File->Add Folder to Library option, and specify the top-level folder that contains your music. iTunes will search through all sub-folders and add any music that it finds to your iTunes library.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

How do users move a library to a new computer

Thanks for the reply - I still think there has to be a way - I cannot "import" as iTunes will not "grab" a folder - Instead it will just keep opening a selected folder until I drill down to the actual tune itself. At that point the file is added. I have over 8000 tunes - dont want to do that...

How does one add a library if changing computers permanately?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 AM

Normally if you were changing to a new computer, it is best to copy the entire "iTunes" folder (under "My Music") from the old computer to the new. This will contain your library database (iTunes Library.itl), as well as some of the other newer folders used by iTunes 7 for things like album artwork and iPod Games. This is also the default location for your music, but of course if you've changed that location (under Edit->Preferences->Advanced), then your music will be stored in whatever location you have selected.

The iTunes database contains playlists, ratings, playcounts, and some other internal information related to syncing your iPod, so by ensuring that you move this file, you preserve all of this information.

As to your specific situation, are you sure you're using the File->Add Folder to Library option? iTunes for Windows has "Add Folder" and "Add File" as separate options for some odd reason, and if you select "Add File" you'll naturally only be able to choose files.

You could also try simply dragging-and-dropping your main music folder into iTunes.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks - that did it

Thanks for the input - yes - that did it - thanks for your suggestions.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

me too, me too

I probably just need confirmation that I am screwed.

My wife downloaded an itunes update. When she did that, she got some error message (she doesn't remember what). She decided to do a system restore to the way the computer was before the update. When I tried to up itunes after that, it was telling me I needed that video viewing itunes thing and to reinstall itunes. When I did, it was not recognizing my library. I did another system restore to before the nonsense happened and even went into my Carbonite backups (off site backups of files). I tried importing my library, but either get no response from itunes or it tells me whatever library I am trying to send in is "corrupt and unreadible". Now, I can import files normally---but like everyone else---I have a ton of music and will lose my rating, play counts, etc.

Is there anything I can do. My backup version of my library from Carbonite are 12kb too. That can't be right. THe backup over files all the time...I am afraid they backup one of the non-library, libraries instead of the one I am looking for.

Any ideas or guidance on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Fortunately iTunes makes a backup of your library for you when you upgrade.

What I would do is uninstall iTunes and install 8.1 if you have issues checkout Apple's help.

Then I would look for a backup of your library and use it, I documented the steps in another thread. Hopefully your system restore didn't eliminate it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply. So, I got to the part about copying the old library in. Every time I try to copy into the itunes folder I get this message:

Error 0x80070571: the disk structure is corrupt and unreadable

What should I do now?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM

That sounds like an Operating System issue. You should run a chkdsk and fix your hard drive issues before you try to fix your iTunes problems.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: iTunes 7.01 won't recognize my library after re-installing

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.