Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Disc burner or software not found, iTunes 7.0.1.8 on PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Disc burner or software not found, iTunes 7.0.1.8 on PC

Hey guys,
I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with iTunes 7.0.1.8 on a Windows XP machine ( I'm guessing the problem is with iTunes).

Ok, so when you go to burn an audio CD from a playlist (the songs are purchased and protected), iTunes says
Quote:
disc burner or software not found.
Under the "advanced" "burning" tabs, the CD burner is listed there. I would assume that this means that iTunes is recognizing it properly.

I have tried to be logged on as an administrator.

I have tried a couple of other things too, but right now I'm tired and I'm having trouble thinking, I've been looking for an answer all day.

If I'm repeating a topic then sorry, could someone direct me to the solution? ...if there is one .
If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful for that as well, in fact, ANYTHING

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

same problem. lemme know if you've figured it out and i'll do the same
Old 10-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Do either of you have any other CD burning software installed on your computer that might be interfering with iTunes itself?

Also, you might want to try some of the steps outlined in Using CD Diagnostics in iTunes for Windows to troubleshoot CD/DVD drive issues and Additional Troubleshooting for Burning Issues to see if either of those help. Further, Apple provides a page where you can submit your CD Diagnostics from iTunes to report a problem you may be having.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

found a workaround

thanks alot jesse

i changed the user account to administrator, and now it works. so it appears itunes 7.0.1.8 (i just upgraded) requires administrator rights in order to burn. i doubt that's an intentional feature (if it is it's pretty lame)

so i wonder if there's a setting somewhere to allow limited users to burn.. would it be a windows thing or an itunes thing?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Difficult to say where the problem is for certain, but if it worked in previous versions I'd have to point the finger at iTunes.

Do you have any other CD-burning software that works with a non-Admin account?

Of course, there are so many things on Windows don't work properly with more limited rights that most people just use Administrator privileges all the time

Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ahh, got it. I was trying to burn the cd in a restricted user account on one computer, and it worked (but that computer wasn't connected to the net or using protected M4Ps). So then when I went to burn the M4Ps on another computer (almost identical to my other), it wouldn't burn. This computer was connected to the net. So I upgraded the account to an Admin, and it worked...

the frustrating thing is that I thought I had ruled that out as the problem .

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face

i have iTunes 7.1.1.5 running on Windows Vista and i keep getting the "Disc burner or software not found" error message

i have the most recent driver on my cd burner and my burning software does not interfere with iTunes at all, in fact before i even had burning software installed i was getting this message and i still got it even after i got burning software

the songs i am trying to burn are also protected mp4 songs so i can only burn them using iTunes

i don't know what to do
Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 AM

GODZILLA!!!111oneone

Have you tried reinstalling iTunes?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaR
Hey guys,
I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with iTunes 7.0.1.8 on a Windows XP machine ( I'm guessing the problem is with iTunes).

Ok, so when you go to burn an audio CD from a playlist (the songs are purchased and protected), iTunes says

Under the "advanced" "burning" tabs, the CD burner is listed there. I would assume that this means that iTunes is recognizing it properly.

I have tried to be logged on as an administrator.

I have tried a couple of other things too, but right now I'm tired and I'm having trouble thinking, I've been looking for an answer all day.

If I'm repeating a topic then sorry, could someone direct me to the solution? ...if there is one .
If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful for that as well, in fact, ANYTHING
I had this same problem when I installed a program called Daemon Tools: a program that installs a virtual CD Drive into the computers memory, useful for playing games on your PC that you don't have the actual disc for but have the entire disc image saved on your hard drive.

Once that was installed, itunes went cold and couldn't locate my DVD drive and kept saying "Disc burner or software not found". For days I couldn't fix it, even after uninstalling daemon tools and reinstalling itunes. Finally I read about an addon to daemon tools that upgrades the SCSI connection and fixes the itune bug. it's called SPTD v1.50 X86 and it's at this site:

http://disc-tools.com/download/daemon+sptd+md5sum

It worked like a charm for me and I hope that it works for you.

(there are two versions on this site 32 and 64 bit editions. I used the 32 bit one.) I am on a PC and running Windows XP.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobablab
i have iTunes 7.1.1.5 running on Windows Vista and i keep getting the "Disc burner or software not found" error message

i have the most recent driver on my cd burner and my burning software does not interfere with iTunes at all, in fact before i even had burning software installed i was getting this message and i still got it even after i got burning software

the songs i am trying to burn are also protected mp4 songs so i can only burn them using iTunes

i don't know what to do

Same; lots of people seem to have this problem, a lot have sorted it by getting rid of deamon tools but most haven't been using it anyway! I've been just set my computer up with Nero 7 and everything works fin apart from burning with iTunes; there was a thread on the iTunes forum about the same problem but they'd classed it as solved even though no one'd fixed the problem!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadronx
I had this same problem when I installed a program called Daemon Tools: a program that installs a virtual CD Drive into the computers memory, useful for playing games on your PC that you don't have the actual disc for but have the entire disc image saved on your hard drive.

Once that was installed, itunes went cold and couldn't locate my DVD drive and kept saying "Disc burner or software not found". For days I couldn't fix it, even after uninstalling daemon tools and reinstalling itunes. Finally I read about an addon to daemon tools that upgrades the SCSI connection and fixes the itune bug. it's called SPTD v1.50 X86 and it's at this site:

(there are two versions on this site 32 and 64 bit editions. I used the 32 bit one.) I am on a PC and running Windows XP.
I had the same problem, and this worked thanks! I tried the 64 bit one and it didn't work, dunno what the difference is though.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question disk burner or software not found

using a mac with osx on it and getting the disk burner or software not found..
what do i do?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Error Message

When i Start Itunes an Error message pops up .
It says Itune was not installed properly If you wish to import or burn a Cds you need to reinstall Itunes.
I have reinstalled it three times and it still does the same is there a fix for it . I am running Vista . I have been having trouble with itune ever since i updated it two weeks ago first it was cd burner not found now this please help me .
Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Talking Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadronx

OH MAN.
Right when I had almost given up all hope on iTunes and burning CDs...
you see, I looove making mix CD's and just being able to copy them, and since allll of my music is in iTunes it's hard to make CD's in any other burning program.

so when iTunes crapped out, so did my cd collection

and that was like last summer! a LONG time ago!
and tonight I decided to try once more. it didn't work. and I had googled EVERYTHING about this error message and tried all the things that other people said. I uninstalled iTunes seven times.

tonight I decided to give it ONE MORE SHOT, and that's when I found your post...I have daemontools, but never even thought it would interfere with itunes. well, I had never seen your solution before and I tried it.

I got an error message

I tried once more, and.......IT WORKED!

so, I went into iTunes and clicked "burn disc" and for the first time in seven months, the CD drive shot open and I honestly got scared....i didn't expect it

ANYWAYS, IN CONCLUSION, I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH =)

Anything else, please e-mail me.. kristi.wilken(at)insightbb.com

THANKS AGAIN!!!
-kristi
Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

how do you change your itunes account to administrator?

I am having the same problem with not recognizing my driver, yet I don't have deamon tools on my computer

what can i do?

Topic: Disc burner or software not found, iTunes 7.0.1.8 on PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.