Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Auto Sync Music + Manual Sync Videos?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 PM

solarith
Banned

Auto Sync Music + Manual Sync Videos?

I have a ton of video files that are taking up room on my harddrive. I want them on my ipod, but not on my harddrive. However, I do not want to use Manual Sync because I love Auto Sync for my mp3s.. as I'm always fixing ID3 tags and adding Lyrics, etc. and it's easier just to have them auto-update on my ipod. Is there some way to make my mp3s auto sync and my videos manual sync? I want to be keep auto-sync on and yet have the videos deleted from my harddrive and yet still on my ipod.
Someone suggested that I delete them from the harddrive but leave them in iTunes. This scares me because if the ID3 tag is accidentially altered with some capitalization script or something, I'll lose it on the ipod. Any advice?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 PM

It's essentially correct that you can remove them from your hard drive (even place them on an external hard drive, or archive them to DVD-RW). As long as they're listed in iTunes, they will remain on your iPod.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you speak about "capitalization scripts" or modification of ID3 tags. Firstly, video files don't really have ID3 tags (there is metadata, but nothing that an ID3 tag editor would touch), and secondly, if they're not there, there's no way you can modify the tags. iTunes doesn't really care as long as they're not removed from the iTunes database, so unless you're running tools directly on the iTunes database you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:42 PM

solarith
Banned

For ID3 tags for videos, I mean the Artist, Track Title, etc. info that can be modified the same as with mp3 files. I had a movie on my ipod, did not have it on my harddrive anymore (but it was in the iTunes library as a deadlink), and a script I was running on my entire library changed the capitalization of one of the words in the Video file's "Artist" field. On the next sync of my ipod, the video file was deleted from the ipod. I guess that's what I mean. It's a problem that can be avoided if I'm careful not to edit the iTunes entries of stuff that isn't physically on the harddrive..

Topic: Auto Sync Music + Manual Sync Videos?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.