Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Error when adding folder from drive "name too long"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-22-2006, 04:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Error when adding folder from drive "name too long"

When I try to import or add a folder from my hard drive, I keep getting an error message that a file name is incorrect or too long. If I haven't imported it before, how does it know that the file name is incorrect? What can I do to fix it because it doesn't say which file or what is wrong!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face

Hi there.

I too have just started getting this error message. I've just bought a new laptop, so I copied my 2045 songs using copypod to my new computer (100 at a time!). Then loaded them on to my Ipod. This worked fine for the majority but with approximately 200 left to load I got the error message.

Since then I had synched some more tracks to my Ipod, but now the message has come back and it won't add any.

The message is "attempting to copy to the disk 'blah's IP' failed. The file name is invalid or too long"

Please help!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:38 PM

When transferring look in the iTunes window and see what song it is trying to transfer. If you miss the song just right click and select 'update' and look for the song title. Go into the main library and 'uncheck' that song. Then right click on the iPod in the source list and select update. Each time the error message appears repeat the above action.

Leave the songs unchecked and then reimport them into your library from the original CD and delete the bad copy.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:50 PM

Senior Lounger

Since iTunes works from ID3 tags to create the library entries, the names of the files does not matter _once_ they are imported. Therefore, just rename the files to something simple with only alpha and numeric characters and move them to a folder with a shorter path (C:\work). It does not matter what the files are called so don't waste time renaming them to match artist/album/song. Just drag or import the C:\work folder and the songs will be in iTunes. Re-ripping is unnecessary. Now if your ID3 tags aren't there or are messed up, you'll have to fix them once the songs are in iTunes.

4G 60GB Color, 9760 songs
5.5G 80GB, 11204 songs, 160Kbps lossy
6G 160GB Classic, 11204 songs, lossless & 192Kbps lossy
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you for the advice I'll try what you both suggested.

Muchos gracias!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

long path error

i have faced such problem last days but long path tool help me in the situation.
all u guys must try to fix this problem

Topic: Error when adding folder from drive "name too long"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.