Correcting badly tagged MP3s

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iP0dz

I have only just got my first iPod.

I had iTunes load all my MP3s on my HDD. Thing is ive always used Winamp as my player and everything was arranged in folders. I never bothered with using a 'library' style player before like WMP.

Anyway, i lot of my MP3s although nicely layed out in folders, have bad tags, either doesnt contain the artist or album name. Now I use ID3 Tag-IT to batch process tags, when i edit a folder to correct the artist and album name and load it in the iTunes library it doesnt update the old entries.

which means those songs are totally lost somewhere in my library, which makes it difficult to search for.

Why does iTunes not update the MP3s with the new tags? I found that I had to hunt down each MP3, and then play it, and then it will update the iTunes library with the new details. This is really annoying, because some of my MP3s are just called 1.mp3, 2.mp3, 3.mp3 etc and if i search for them, it returns loads or results.

XXTwnz

Get a copy of Tag&Rename or eMusicTag Editor. Both of these can take a pattern of folder and filenames and fill in the tags.

I used to have the same setup as you with a Zen Xtra. I constantly had to work keep the filesystem names and tags in sync. Now I only have to keep the tags cleaned up and I let iTunes deal with the filesystem. Cuts my effort in half.

iP0dz

hey there,

The problem isnt with tagging the MP3s, but updating iTunes to reflect the new tags.

Because if i change the tag data and then Add New Folder in itunes, the files do not get updated. The whole point of tagging MP3s correctly is so i can find the files, but because iTunes does not update itself, i still cannot find the files unless i search for their title names one by one which becomes very tedious.

XXTwnz

So if I understand you, you are tagging your iTunes library files in place with another tag program? Try this. In iTunes, highlight the first song in your library and bring up Get Info. Then just press the Next button. Repeat for every song in the library -- it doesn't take long at all. iTunes should refresh the library info out of the music file ID3 tag info.

Another possibility is that you are using a tag version iTunes doesn't use (1.1, or 2.4). Try converting your tags to 2.2 or 2.3.