Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A Way to Refresh iTunes's Library?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-15-2003, 02:05 PM

Reclined Lounger

A Way to Refresh iTunes's Library?

For instance if I delete a folder or songs from my library through Windows Explorer, how do I get the iTunes's library to refresh and recognize that an "X" amount of songs and folders are gone? For instance, in Media Center 9, F5 refreshes the library. iTunes doesn't have this.

Do I have to delete it manually from my library?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

SHIFT|perspective

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-15-2003, 05:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

you're "supposed" to let iTunes manage your music, because, obviously, apple knows best.

I'd love to see a tool for refreshing the itunes database just like you described.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

I also am interested in some sort of Refresh functionality. I organize my music in folders by genre to make it easy for me (and others) to find what they're looking for and I end up shifting music quite a bit.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:12 PM

Junior Lounger

All my music is stored in sub folders in a main folder called 'iTunes', whenever I add or delete anything I just drag and drop that folder into the library. It automatically figures out any changes, i.e it doesn't re-import every single file.

Note, I do not let iTunes manage my files or let it make copies of them when i import.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 PM

Reclined Lounger

Does it delete files not in the folder from the library?

Everytime I delete something using Explorer, I go to File --> Add Folder which should be the same thing as Drag and Drop right? But even after resyncing the folder into iTunes, iTunes still displays the deleted files, but now it has an "X" or something to the left of the file. I'd like it to be able to refresh and make corrections as needed.

SHIFT|perspective

Last edited by Squibbles; 11-15-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:49 AM

All round good egg

Select the missing files in the library window and right click and choose "clear". Don't know why apple can't call it delete, but there you are.

Graeme
Old 11-16-2003, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bighairy
Select the missing files in the library window and right click and choose "clear". Don't know why apple can't call it delete, but there you are.

Graeme
hehe, because they have to "think different".

That always bugged me too. Not intuitive at all.

Adam

Old 11-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Reclined Lounger

Ahh. So I really do have to go in and manually clear/delete them. That's too bad.

SHIFT|perspective
Old 11-17-2003, 10:18 AM

Pro Lounger

Ephpod has the refresh feature too.
Apple should add this to iTunes.

- Have a nice day
NEW NANO white 4gb
Old Windows iPod 10 gb (2G classic touchwheel)
Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 AM

wmc
Freshman Lounger

It will refresh if.....

Open the file menu, click on 'Add Folder to Library' - highlight your iTunes folder and hit OK. This will refresh the library.

It is not difficult but a one click Refresh would be nice.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've seen this "way of refreshing"(go to add folder to this library and select the itunes folder which contains the files) but it's not refreshing for me. I actually have to play the song or review the info in order for it to chage within my Itunes library...maybe it's a setting I need to change or something but I can't figure it out.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:12 PM

Reclined Lounger

Re: It will refresh if.....

Quote:
Originally posted by wmc
Open the file menu, click on 'Add Folder to Library' - highlight your iTunes folder and hit OK. This will refresh the library.

It is not difficult but a one click Refresh would be nice.
Nope. It doesn't clear deleted files.

SHIFT|perspective
Old 11-19-2003, 12:05 AM

Reclined Lounger

I think the idea that there is no refresh is that apple expects with its app itunes that all the music going it to it is legal meaning you own the cd's so you put a cd in your computer and you rip it with itunes it gets add to itunes, then you play it in itunes. For download music apple expects it to be downloaded from itunes music store through itunes.

When you want refreshing, the songs that you have added, are they illegal downloaded by kazaa or the like so they wont be automaticly added to itunes - or that you have ripped them in another program MM or EAC/ LAME,

I guess just put them in itunes, but i see your point if you own the tunes and have ripped them with another program, it would be easier to drag them to the folder and hit one button.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Well, the obvious answer here is legal. : ) I've been collecting music long before Apple and ITunes and I've got discs that are 15 years old that I've ripped along time ago and now want to simply add to my ITunes library without having to rerip. I'm figuring it out but it's a slow process so far...I'm sure that once I start adding things in the future it will be easier but they didn't make it easy for start-up.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question So?

It appears to me that folks believe that if you go to the top level folder and click add that iTunes will refresh the entire library correct? Are you sure I won't get a ton of duplicates? I've already had an issue where it finds the same file in the same location twice and I end up deleting the original.

Why you may ask? Like others I've been doing MP3 for years I've got a different external (turtle beach) device that plays mp3 on my stereo and I have far more mp3's then my iPod will hold. I'd like to use some other tools but am tired of trying to remember which new folders I've added.

iTunes when you install it searchs for new titles. Why isn't that feature available?

Topic: A Way to Refresh iTunes's Library?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.