Remove songs from playlists, but not iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kriv

Is there any way to remove (uncheck) specific songs from individual playlists, but still leave them on other playlists (and on the iPod itself)?

For example...
I have a "workout" playlist that includes songs that have specific BPM, ratings and genre conditions. However, there are songs that meet the "workout" conditions, but I still don't want them included in the "workout" playlist. When I remove (uncheck) these songs in the "workout" playlist, they are also removed (unchecked) from all other playlists on the iPod (and removed from the iPod itself).

Any advice?

Thanks.

kriv

Just to clarify the post above...
I am referring to smart playlists, not regular playlists.

And a follow-up to the post above...
Is there any way to add a playlist condition to another smart playlist?

For example...
I thought I'd just create a new playlist of the songs that I want excluded from my "workout" playlist (and then use it as a condition in my "workout" smart playlist), but it looks like iTunes doesn't offer playlists as a choice of conditions with smart playlists.

Any advice or comments?

Thanks.

ashawley

Website
www.
Kriv:

I know what you're trying to do. You might be able to get around it by using "Song Name" does not contain... and list the songs you want to exclude. This can be very tiresome though.

Regarding the second post, what you're looking for is the ability to nest smartlists. It's a very handy feature I use it all the time in MC9--iTunes doesn't support it though. Might want to post feedback to Apple on it.

Adam

kriv

Thanks Adam!!! I knew you'd have some info for me.

I thought of your "Song Name" idea too, but you're right... that would be a big headache. It would also exclude other songs with the same words in the song names.

I loved the nest smartlist feature of MC9.... unfortunately my trial period ended the same day that iTunes for Windows came out. I gave it a try since it was free, and found that I actually like iTunes a bit more than MC9 (especially the auto-updating of smart playlists on the iPod).

Thanks again.

jjunker

what about rateing those undesired songs lower and filtering that way?

kriv

jjunker said:
what about rateing those undesired songs lower and filtering that way?
Thanks for the idea jjunker. However, I already have ratings for these songs (ranging from 1-5 stars). I'd hate to lose these "real" ratings, especially since I use ratings for other smart playlists too.

The only (far from perfect) solution I found is to convert the smart playlist to a regular playlist...

Copy (drag/drop) all of the songs from my "workout" smart playlist to a new regular playlist (also called "workout"). Then just manually delete the songs that I don't want included.

The obvious drawback is that I'm losing the "smart" features of smart playlists (auto-syncing new songs added to library, ratings changes, etc.).

jjunker

Before I understood how the playlists & smart playlists worked.. I was thinking like a Flash developer... thinking... "surely I can create a smart playlist to control other playlists and smart playlists"

ha... how nieve I was!

Glad to see you found a solution - even if it's not as easy as you'd like.

J.