Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Video kind "TV Show" on imported video?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-19-2005, 05:26 PM

Senior Lounger

Video kind "TV Show" on imported video?

Anyone brave enough to try the following?

1. Back up your "iTunes Library" file!
2. Find a show that you've imported, and set its Video Kind to 'Movie' and make sure 'Skip During Shuffle' and 'Remember Play Position' are both checked.
3. Quit iTunes and make a copy of the 'iTunes Library' file, naming it 'Movie'.
4. Go back into iTunes, and locate the same show you selected at step 2.
5. This time, set its Video Kind to 'Music Video' and again make sure 'Skip During Shuffle' and 'Remember Play Position' are both checked.
6. Quit iTunes again, and make a copy of the 'iTunes Library' file, naming it 'MusicVideo'.
7. At the command line, in the directory where you saved the above files, enter the following: cmp -l Movie MusicVideo
8. This will produce something like the following:

4246805 44 115
4246806 160 355
4246807 317 74
4246808 245 202
etc...

9. The first difference (in my example) is at byte number 4246805 (counting from 1), so the zero-based offset is one less. In hex, it's 0x40cd14.
10. Using Hex Editor (www.ex-cinder.com), open your 'iTunes Library' file, and set that byte so that it contains zero.
11. Now go back into iTunes and find your video file.
12. Marvel at the fact that it now has the Video Kind set to 'TV Show'.

Hopefully someone will want to take this little trick and run with it - make a proper util that will fix up the database for us. My iPod's away for repair, so I don't know whether it appears correctly in the TV Shows menu of the iPod. Also, the Season etc. fields still don't show up.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Video kind "TV Show" on imported video?

Hi,
Thanks alot MagicRabbits for attempting to find a way around the "Video Kind" problem.

But I got sorta lost at step 7 and I REALLY want to get this to work.

Does this even work for XP?

some help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Senior Lounger

No, for XP you'll need to use something like WinDiff to locate the first byte that changed. That's the byte to set to zero... no guarantees it will work, mind!

I wish I'd posted this in the general TV section now, rather than the Mac section.

5G iPod 30GB White | 1G iPod mini 4GB Silver | iPod shuffle 512MB | Mac mini 1.25GHz 512MB
Old 11-26-2005, 06:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

would there be any way to get detailed directions for windows

i downloaded windiff and tried that but it didnt give me anything close to what you got

it showed differences in lines and when i typed the line address into my hex editor and changed that to 0 itunes said the file was corrupt and reimported the xml file

edit:

well i figured out how to do it but the only problem is that the 0 screws up the season name changing it to season -3223535 instead of season 1

and also if you go into the info options page it says tv show but when you sort them its under podcast

Last edited by ohgodimlame; 11-26-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Junior Lounger

I just posted this on the iPodWizard forums, since there is more of a technical crowd there, to see if we can get on something with this...

here is the link to that thread...
http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=4954

5G iPod 60GB Black | iPod shuffle 1GB | Mac OSX x86 10.4.1
Old 11-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

it needs to be said that windiff does not give you the bit number

you need a hex editor with a string search function

what i did was search for a string near the byte that needed to be changed and scrolled down to it

again what i found is that it does not truelly change the type to tv show all it does is change it in the single drop down menu

when sorted into movies music videos podcasts and tv shows in itunes the file then showed up in podcasts and not tv shows

remember that you are only changing the reference in the library file and not the actual file

when a copy of the file is made and put back into itunes it will not come up with this changed data

looking at differences in the video file would make more sense in changing the file type to what ever is needed ensuring that the ipod would see it the same as the computer

i tried this with windiff but it was giving me drasticly different results than the hex editor

this is clearly above me but i have found out these few things after some experimentation
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 AM

Senior Lounger

Well the reason I'm pursuing the library is simply because the file itself does not change, when you switch from Movie to Music Video. There are no changes in the file. Therefore, the Video Kind must be held in the library database only. Unfortunately, no one seems to know the iTunes 6 database format.

5G iPod 30GB White | 1G iPod mini 4GB Silver | iPod shuffle 512MB | Mac mini 1.25GHz 512MB
Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

no rush

but my 5g ipod gets here wed so it would be sweet to be able to have all my seasons of arrested development sorted correctly

but no rush

just saying if you happen to find the time to get a beta version for windows running by wed i wouldnt be upset

you know

seriously no rush though
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 AM

Senior Lounger

LOL!!!

Well I managed to put something together for Mac OS X, which you can find in the TV & Video forum, and someone is working on making sure it works for Windows - as I speak. But it has an annoying flaw, related to the problem you identified originally...

iTunes "notices" that the TV shows have been changed, and re-transfers them again the next time you sync. (Even though the video files themselves have not changed...) Not only is this time consuming, but it resets them all back to movies again, so you have to run my utility after each sync. I suspect iTunes is using some kind of checksum to detect changes, but I don't know for sure.

If you can live with that for now, then you shouldn't have long to wait for a Windows version!

Old 11-29-2005, 06:28 AM

Senior Lounger

It now includes a build for Windows XP - untested. You can download it from http://homepage.mac.com/poglad/FileSharing7.html

It will soon be moved to http://www.mrtvpod.net/

Last edited by MagicRabbits; 12-01-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Junior Lounger

tested for windows XP.. and it works perfectly.. except for the mentioned flaws...

now we need a mod to move this to either the TV Shows thread or the iPod Video thread, since it has support for Windows and Mac.

Also, we are in the process of setting this up on sourceforge, to get more of a develoment team and try to improve this little project as much as possible.

kudos to MagicRabbits, this is a feature a lot of people have been waiting for.

5G iPod 60GB Black | iPod shuffle 1GB | Mac OSX x86 10.4.1
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Junior Lounger

I have Windows and have NEVER used command line. I don't know how to use it. How do you open a directory so you can type in cmp etc.? When you open the command line this shows up:

C:\Documents and Settings\my username

What else do I need to add to open a directory? I need help!

5G 60GB White iPod
3G 20GB iPod
Old 11-30-2005, 09:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

the files show up in both music videos and tv shows on the ipod now

that seems to be an interesting outcome
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ohgodimlame
the files show up in both music videos and tv shows on the ipod now

that seems to be an interesting outcome
true...
I hadn't notice that, that's for letting me know.
I'm finishing up the new site right now, and we'll have a forum there for support and bug report as well.

Also a FAQ and tutorials on how to use the program will be available.

I'll post the address whenever we go live.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

also you do not need to use it from the command line

all you need is to save the exe file in the ipod_control\itunes folder and double click on it to get it to convert

a screen pops up and then closes and everything is fixed

also since i do not have any other removable devices attached to my computer

my ipod always shows up as drive E:

therefore i made a link to the file and fixing the tv show problem is just a double click on my desktop

done

edit:

now here is a fun request

a program that undoes what this one does

since if you have the ipod on autosync it reloads all the changed videos everytime you sync it up

i also tried syncing with do not sync videos turned on and it just deleted all the videos

there for to save precious time it would be nice to be able to switch the ipod back

Last edited by ohgodimlame; 12-02-2005 at 03:48 AM.

Topic: Video kind "TV Show" on imported video?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.