Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Auto eject after ripping a CD?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-25-2003, 02:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

Auto eject after ripping a CD?

I'm in the process of ripping CD's on a second computer at work (different channel on my KVM, no audio attached), still have several hundred CD's to go.

Is there a way to have iTunes auto eject the disc once it's done ripping? I sometimes get wrapped up with work and forget to check on it for maybe a half hour to an hour at a time. Auto ejecting the CD would be an easy reminder and this is one item on a very short list of things that I miss about Music Match.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Go to Edit > Preferences > General, and change the "When you insert a CD" option to "Import CD and Eject"
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Veteran Lounger

Chances are this option was not available 7 years ago, let alone with 1 post in 7 years I doubt if kweedr is still active here.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have itunes running on a new laptop PC with windows 7 OS. The "rip and eject" feature was working fine, but now I must manually eject after ripping. The last Edit / Preferences control option to "import CD and eject" now fails to "stick" when I close that dialog box. I have been regularly updating itunes as new versions are offered by apple. So, now I have to remember to visit the rip screen frequently and the Control + E to get the disk drawer to open.
Anyone have any ideas?
Pat
Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

auto eject after cd rip

My first post... apologies for any protocol errors, etc.

I have itunes running on a new laptop PC with windows 7 OS. The "rip and eject" feature was working fine, but now I must manually eject after ripping. the last Edit / Preferences control option to "import CD and eject" now fails to "stick" when I close the dialog box. I have been regularly updating itunes as new versions are offered by apple. So, now I have to remember to visit the rip screen frequently and the Control + E to get the disk drawer to open.
Anyone have any ideas?
Pat
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Veteran Lounger

apologies for any protocol errors, etc.

No protocol violations here; at least, not from you ;-) It's just fun to tweak folks for not checking the date of what they're responding to. In this case, cml42 (above) deserved a tweak for responding to a 7 year-old post...but not really you.

The "Import and Eject" setting (Prefs->General->"When you insert a CD:" popup menu) is stored in the main preferences file, so it's odd that the pref won't stick for you. (If iTunes was having a problem writing to the main prefs file -- blocked by permissions or anti-virus or whatever -- none of your other prefs changes would stick either. As long as other prefs changes do stick, then yeah -- you've got a strange problem.) Just to be sure, what happens if you try to change that setting to, say, "Start Playing"? Does it stick?

I can't imagine a CD drive not supporting auto-eject on a new-ish computer. It's even harder to imagine iTunes being clever enough to know this about that drive (thus not letting the setting stick) but being such a dullard that it doesn't then gray out that option (thus letting the user know how clever it is).... Very odd. With any luck, someone more knowledgable about Windows iTunes will step in....

If you're adventurous, you can p'bly set that pref "by hand." I tested this by comparing several prefs files, each saved off with different "When you insert a CD" settings. That setting is controlled by the 131st byte from the start of data in the "pref:130:Preferences" section of the iTunes prefs file. For "Rip and Eject" it needs to be "M" (if you're using a text editor) or "4D" (if you're using a hex editor). Consult the intertubes for info on manually changing prefs; don't attempt if you're not at least half a geek ;-)

(And for those playing along at home, here's the complete list -- Show CD: Q (0x51); Begin Playing: E (0x45); Ask to Import CD: A (0x41); Import CD: I (0x49); Import and Eject: M (0x4D) ;-)

Topic: Auto eject after ripping a CD?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.