Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The cds I burn on Itunes won't play back in my car.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy The cds I burn on Itunes won't play back in my car.

With the trouble I am having I may as well just buy an ipod

Well, My 02' Honda Civic's Stock CD player will not play CDR's burned on iTunes.

Commercial CD's and CDR's burned on Roxio work. I referred to the car manual & it does state the player will not play back CDRWs but it will play CDRs (what I am using).

It also states the disc must be finalized otherwise it will not work. I have no clue what this means or how to do this on iTunes since all you have to do is point and click to burn a cd. I see no options in regards to licensing or finalizing on iTunes.

Yes I have made sure the Audio option is checked when I burn the disc and the disc does play back on my computer & on my other disc player. I also tried slowing down the burn speed and it still won't play back.

Any more suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Gadgeteer

Finalising is the term used to describe 'closing' the disc. That is to say, after finalising, you cannot add more data to the CD, even if there is enough space. Usually when burning data you leave the disc 'open' so you can later add stuff to it - the software (Toast) will create a new session on the CD. When a multi-session CD appears on the desktop it shows up as multiple CD icons. An audio CD player will only look at the first session. So you could have audio content on session No 1 and data on other sessions - the data will be invisible to a CD player.

I'm not sure if iTunes finalises discs - Toast I think offers the option - Write Session/Write Disk maybe... It could be as you suggest - the car CD player is looking for 'closed' discs. If you have toast it might work better through that and use 'Disk at Once' mode.

Sorry, that isn't really helpful...

OMG! It's My Gadget Life
Old 10-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Senior Lounger

My girl has this car and it has trouble playing burned discs. Try different cd-rs and you will have much better luck.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:36 PM

Veteran Lounger

i think it could be that the kind of files iTunes puts the music as, could effect how the car cannot read the music files. damn you iTunes.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 AM

7 iPods and counting

Re: The cds I burn on Itunes won't play back in my car.

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley12345

Any more suggestions?
I have the same problem with my Blaupunkt (but it's *installed* in a Honda!) My solution is simple. Right after I burn a CD in iTunes (which may include iTMS protected songs), I just make a copy of it with Toast, which works perfectly in all of my players. If you're creating an audio CD from MP3's or AAC's that you've ripped yourself, you don't even need iTunes. Just open Toast, set it to Audio CD, and drag/drop the MP3 files onto the Toast window until you hit 74 (or 80) minutes total time.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks guys, i'll try toast and let u know what happens.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am having trouble playing burned audio CDs on my home stereo. I looked at the Toast software mentioned but geez, it's expensive. Any other solutions?

Topic: The cds I burn on Itunes won't play back in my car.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.