Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Playlists and duplicate songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-20-2003, 04:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Playlists and duplicate songs?

I am wondering how to update playlists on my iPod without copying over duplicates of each song. For example, I have an 80's playlist that has 10 songs that I just created in iTunes. All 10 of those songs are already on my iPod. When I drag my new 80's playlist to the iPod, it puts duplicates of all 10 of those songs on the iPod so now I have 2 of each song in the play list.

How do I avoid this so when I create a playlist in iTunes and want to add it to my iPod, it only adds the songs that aren't already on the iPod? Right now I have it set to "manually manage songs and playlists" but if I select "automatically update selected playlists and songs" will that do what I want it to? Or will that erase everything on my iPod and only put the songs that are in the playlists in iTunes that I choose to update.

So I guess I am confused about the whole syncing/playlist thing.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Anyone?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:27 PM

I don't think I am familiar enough with the manually managment of the ipod to help you, but I will try.

I guess you could try to "delete" the duplicates that you say are created on the ipod from the ipod.

You may also try creating the playlist directly on the ipod by selecting the ipod in the source window, then create new playlist and drag/drop songs around.

Lastly. Are we sure they are really duplicating? Check your ipod through the browse settings are their two copies? Or use a third party app, or way to look at the hidden files and see if there is truly two copies of the file. Playlists are supposed to act as markers.

To help you decide if changing to an automatic syncing would be for you I would need to know the state of your music library and your ipod. Do you have more tunes on your harddrive than on your ipod or vice versa. If you have more tunes on your ipod automatic syncing is not for you. If it is the other way around, auto syncing may work for you.

I am a proponent of autosyncing if you hard drive can handle having all your music files on it. This way all of your information syncs, playlists, ratings, playcounts. Through manual updates none of this extra stuff syncs.

Cheers,
Stu

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply.

The way I have my library set up is I have a ton more songs on my PC rather then my iPod. And I would like to keep it that way, there are a lot of songs on my PC that I don't want on my iPod. But the thing is I would love to have play counts, ratings all that stuff sync. So is there a way to make it so when I sync it only syncs the songs on the iPod and then adds to the iPod only the songs that I have in the playlists that I want synced?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:55 PM

yes and no...

You could forseeable set it up to sync selected playlists only where you would make playlists and tell it to sync them. One playlist might need to contain ALL songs that you want on your ipod and then from there make the individual playlists you want. So something like

All songs
80s music
love songs
groove songs
songs containing peanut butter

You'd tell itunes to just sync these five playlists (as an example) the All songs would get all songs from your harddrive onto your ipod that you want there regardless if they are on a playlist or not and then the rest sync your specific playlists. These playlists will sync ratings, etc and should not cause duplicate songs if I understand the syncing process completely.

Good luck,
Stu

Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool

Stu - have you found a lot of songs with "peanutbutter" in them?

3G 30 Gig, XP Home, MusicMatch Plus, Belkin battery pack, Belkin auto charger, emPower connector for inflight power, iSkin exo
Old 10-20-2003, 09:14 PM

No but wouldn't it be cool?

Stu

Links to common ?'s

Topic: Playlists and duplicate songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.