Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: detecting playlists for a song

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-04-2005, 09:56 PM

Junior Lounger

detecting playlists for a song

hi,
i was wondering if there is a way to determine what playlists any individual song is in ?

one thing i have found is that the ipod is not good at "randomly" playing a large selection of songs. i started out having a "hits" playlist, that had about 3000 songs. i was hearing some of the songs way too much, for it to be random.

so i decided to break them down into sets of 25, which is probably more typical of the amount of songs i would listen to, at one time - before changing to something else.

that has caused me to have several hundred playlists. and frequently, i replace a song with a "better" cd. for example, at first i may have placed songs in itunes from a "compilation" type of cd, because that may have been the only cd that i had with that song on it. but if i acquire a cd from that artist with that particular song, then i would like to delete the song from itunes from the compilation cd, and use the actual artist cd.

but before deleting the compilation-cd song, i would like to know what playlists, if any, i have placed it in. so that i can then put the same song from the artist-cd on all the same playlists.

the way i am using my playlists, the same song could very easily fit in more than one playlist. for example, a fast country song could be in 1 of my "fast country" playlists, as well as one of my "hits" playlists.

and because i have several hundred of them, i am not gonna search thru every one of the playlists, to see if the song is there.

thanks for any responses.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 AM

Power Lounger

Just right click on the song in iTunes and point at "Playlists" in the menu that appears. It'll show you which playlists it is in.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Junior Lounger

gosh, that worked like a charm. thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Junior Lounger

i just wanted to add that for songs that are not on any playlists, the word "playlists" will not appear for that song, in case any one was having problems.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 AM

Junior Lounger

That was a great little tip that I didn't know - thanks!

Topic: detecting playlists for a song

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.