Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Two computers - one iTunes account

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-17-2003, 06:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Two computers - one iTunes account

Okay, here's the deal. I have my Home PC, with a mp3 library that I imported into iTunes, and spent a long time rating songs and making playlists. I also bought a few songs from the store.

Now, I have a laptop that I use when I'm not at home. It has the same mp3 library as the home PC. I just installed iTunes on it, and am looking for an easy way to keep EVERYTHING mirrored between the two.

I have an iPod, and it's currently sync'd to my home PC. It prompts me to see if I want to delete all my music when I plug it into my laptop, and that disturbs me. I wish I could multi-home it.

Also, I am unable to re-download the songs that I bought through iTunes to my laptop, even though I am signed into iTunes with the same login on both. :/ Is there a way to transfer the files?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:47 PM

Senior Lounger

for last question u need to move the song yourself then then authorize the machine.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:20 PM

Its tough to get a good sync among multiple machines. Its part of the anti-piracy thing. If you could sync your iPod to any machine, you could just go dump your files on all of your friends machines and vice versa.

I'm a mac guy and I know there is software that will help you. I just don't know what exists for windows, if anything does yet. Search around. Either way, I'm guessing it won't be long until lots of solutions start popping up.

And like lilmoonee said, move thestore bought files on a disk [using your iPod in disk mode is a great way to do it] onto the other machine. When you go to play them, it'll ask for your store ID and password. Enter them and your all set.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Power Lounger

Re: Two computers - one iTunes account

Quote:
Originally posted by MarlboroMan
Now, I have a laptop that I use when I'm not at home. It has the same mp3 library as the home PC. I just installed iTunes on it, and am looking for an easy way to keep EVERYTHING mirrored between the two.
MikeM is right about the syncing on two computers. You'll probably need a third-party work around.

If you want all of your ratings, playlists, and ID3 tags to match on your PC and your Laptop, one way is to copy the iTunes data libraries from the iTunes music folder (there are two - a .xml and .itr, I think) If you copy those files to the music folder on the laptop, it should migrate all of your equalizer, ratings, and other library settings to the Laptop.

Chris

Chris - iOS Apps, Tips, Tricks, and Reviews
All iPhoneography, all the time.
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
Well, I got better...
Old 10-17-2003, 11:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks - that's the major hurdle I was looking to clear - I spent hours rating the songs and setting up the playlists.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Just thought that I'd point out that I appear to have found a solution - but it's not for the technically faint of heart.

After looking at several things, I ended up installing Cygwin on both my PC and my laptop, and using rsync to sync up my mp3's and iTunes DBs.

Works well - I can push and pull changes to my mp3 folder from one to the other, and pull my "master" iTunes DB (my distinction) from my PC to my laptop on the go. Since I'm syncing the entire My Music/iTunes folder, it also grabs new purchased songs.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by MarlboroMan
After looking at several things, I ended up installing Cygwin on both my PC and my laptop, and using rsync to sync up my mp3's and iTunes DBs.
Can you post more details on how you setup rsync to sync your two pc's? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

First, you'll need to download and install Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) on both of the PCs you want involved in the rsync.

Since cygwin is a *nix-like environment for Windows, it helps to know how to use a *nix-based OS and rsync already.

Make sure you select the rsync, ssh, and the text editor of your choice when installing cygwin to insure that you have all the tools you'll need.

On one of the PCs (preferably the one that doesn't move, you'll need to run ssh-host-config to setup all the keys, and install SSH as a service, as we'll be using rsync over SSH to do the actual transfer.

Review the man page for rsync to get a general idea of how to use the program, if you're not already familiar. Basically, this is how it goes:

rsync -av --ignore-times -e ssh "move from" "move to"
So, to rsync your current iTunes library from your local PC to another, you'd use:

rsync -av --ignore-times -e ssh '/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Username/My Documents/My Music/iTunes' 'user@ip.of.remote.pc:/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Username/My Documents/My Music/'

It'll prompt you for the password for the user to login to the remote machine.

Make sure you use single quotes, elsewise it won't do the spaces properly. If you're still having problems, escape the spaces with a \.

That command will copy the local iTunes folder to the remote My Music folder, skipping any files that have the same sizes. We ignore timestamps as Windows deals with timestamps funnily, and that could cause a lot more transfer than nessecary.

Once you're comfortable with everything working correctly, you can use SSH's key generation facility to setup a key-based login, and skip the password entry step. Read HOWTOs for more information on that.

Topic: Two computers - one iTunes account

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.