Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 5 Quirks, Bugs, and Problem Reports

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 AM

Veteran Lounger

iTunes 5 Quirks, Bugs, and Problem Reports

With the release of iTunes 5 today, the threads regarding the iTunes 4 Problem Reports and the iTunes 4 Quirks & Bugs are now not as relevant as they once were ...

This is now the iTunes 5 Quirks & Bugs, and Problems thread.

Post in any problems you have, and somebody who is in the know will seek to fix them ASAP.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 AM

Senior Lounger

The options to make files bookmarkable or not be shuffled, are not that great if they cannot be applied to a large batch of files at once. Is there a way to do this, or make an automator action?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

Installation problem

I can't install iTUnes 5 on my Mac at the moment - the installer keeps complaining that iTunes is already running, when it isn't.

What happened was that originally iTunes was running when I first installed, so I shut it down first time I saw the message, however it always pops up now and the install won't start. I'm running 10.3 Panther on a AGP G4 Powermac.

Paul
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 AM

Sticky Lounger

Hey and welcome.

Have you tried rebooting then trying to install iTunes 5?
I did have iTunes running when I was downloading iTunes 5, but then closed it down once it came to installing the latest version without any problems.

3G 15GB iPod | 2G 8GB nano
Old 09-08-2005, 06:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

EDIT: I've fixed this now - the iTunes installer looks for any app that is running that ends in "iTunes.app", so if you are using SizzlingKeys it finds an app running called SizzlingKeys4iTunes.app. So even when iTunes is not running, it thinks iTunes is still running. Someone helped me on another forum with this, so I won't claim credit for finding it out!

----------------------------------

I tried rebootiong several times - it actually was the only way to get rid of the messagebox since it came back immediately after every time it was dismissed. It also seems to have screwed up my SlimServer as I can't see the iTunes playlists on my Squeezebox anymore :-(

Is there a way to unistall iTunes and clean it all out (apart fromt he music files)?

Does anyone know which files/system resources are used when iTunes is running and which may being used to test that it is running by an installer?

Paul

Last edited by CardinalFang; 09-09-2005 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

when browsing through artists, if you hit T to go to the artists begininning with T, it'll take you to the first "The," even if it's THE Arcade Fire (which is listed under the As). This is frustrating and I don't remember this happening in v.4.

ALSO, Podcasts are now listed under Artists and I can't figure out how to get them off. I even unsubscribed, deleted the files, and re-subscribed...nothin. I REALLY don't like seeing Mac Media, Rivals Radio, and ESPN listed along side my musical artists.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

when browsing through artists, if you hit T to go to the artists begininning with T, it'll take you to the first "The," even if it's THE Arcade Fire (which is listed under the As). This is frustrating and I don't remember this happening in v.4.

ALSO, Podcasts are now listed under Artists and I can't figure out how to get them off. I even unsubscribed, deleted the files, and re-subscribed...nothin. I REALLY don't like seeing Mac Media, Rivals Radio, and ESPN listed along side my musical artists.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwearyeyes

The podcast thing is a bit annoying. The 'T' thing I couldn't replicate on my Mac, and I tried both in the 'browse' columns and the list screen.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Sticky Lounger

Quote:
Can't say I have that problem either....

3G 15GB iPod | 2G 8GB nano
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Sharing w/ other computers not working

I loaded 5 to my iBook g4 at work yesterday, and since my Shared functionality with other people's music collections is not working.

- At work, I see the Shared folder with the arrow drop down in the left nav, but when I click on the arrow, it doesn't show me the list of other users.

Last night at home, I loaded 5 on my windows machine. It can access my G4's music, but my G4 can't access the windows machine!

So frustrating!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I can't replicate the T phenomenom either in the browse menu... I type in T and it takes me to "taking back sunday"

For podcasts, I have a new "podcast" entry under artists, they aren't showing in the artist browse window. They are of course in the main library window... But not in the browse list.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by studogvetmed
I can't replicate the T phenomenom either in the browse menu... I type in T and it takes me to "taking back sunday"

For podcasts, I have a new "podcast" entry under artists, they aren't showing in the artist browse window. They are of course in the main library window... But not in the browse list.
Well, I'll test out the T thing again when I get home, but like I said, when keying T while the Artist Browser list was highlighted, it went to The Arcade Fire rather than the "real" bands that start with T. Hmmmm....

Yes, I also have a single listing for Podcasts, but on the iPod, it lists the separate shows as artists...irritating to me personally.

Oh well.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by studogvetmed

Well, I'll test out the T thing again when I get home, but like I said, when keying T while the Artist Browser list was highlighted, it went to The Arcade Fire rather than the "real" bands that start with T. Hmmmm....

Yes, I also have a single listing for Podcasts, but on the iPod, it lists the separate shows as artists...irritating to me personally.

Oh well.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Mac iTunes is definitely NOT communicating with the PC shares. My PC and my 2 roommates' PC's can see my powerbook share, but I can't see any PC shares from my mac. Very disappointing since I have an airport express set up in my living room. I like to bring my laptop out to broadcast from any of the libraries over to the 5.1. This is a signficant mistake seeing that Apple sells a product that works directly in this manner and the shares are important to many who use it.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Pro Lounger

Sharing music: check 'radio' box in General Preferences

Quote:
Originally posted by djSnack
I loaded 5 to my iBook g4 at work yesterday, and since my Shared functionality with other people's music collections is not working.

- At work, I see the Shared folder with the arrow drop down in the left nav, but when I click on the arrow, it doesn't show me the list of other users.

Last night at home, I loaded 5 on my windows machine. It can access my G4's music, but my G4 can't access the windows machine!

So frustrating!
If music sharing does not work, check that the box for 'radio' is checked in the General pane of your iTunes preferences.

Quote:
Excerpted from Jeff Nelson's post in Apple Discussion Forums
I have discovered a bug in both the Windows and Macintosh version of iTunes 5.

If you uncheck the "Radio" check box in the General preferences pane of iTunes 5, then no shared music will show up in the Shared music section of the sidebar navigation. If you have "look for shared music" enabled only an empty folder for shared music will show up in the sidebar even if shared music is available. Toggling the check box for "Radio" in the General preferences on again will allow shared music to be seen in the sidebar and browsed again.

Topic: iTunes 5 Quirks, Bugs, and Problem Reports

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.