A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod - Page 8 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok, This is just crazy. There must be a simple way to do this. I am a relatively new Itunes user and I must say that for as long as Itunes has been out, you would think that it would be much more user friendly.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 PM

All new things are a challenge in the beginning ... with enough time and experience you'll see that "the iTunes way" is really quite powerful and ingenious. It's not perfect, but after using it for awhile it will become 2nd nature (provided that you give it a chance).
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm toying with the idea of getting an Touch to replace my old 30GB video iPod (which was an Apple replacement for a broken 20GB 4G B/W iPod, so basically, I haven't purchased an iPod since 2004). I really like the idea of having my entire 21GB collection on my iPod, but the 32GB Touch is pretty pricey. So, I'm been experimenting with iTunes to create a playlist that would fit on a 16GB. I think I'm pretty pleased with what I've got and it leaves plenty of room to grow. I update my iPod everyday before work, so I really don't need 20G of music on my iPod (I mean, I only have about 6-7GB of music that wouldn't fit on a 16GB). Here's what I got:

0 Stars: Unrated; not listened in the last month; limited to 1500M by random
2 Stars: 2 stars; not listened in the last 3 months; limited to 200M by random
3 Stars: 3 stars; not listened in the last month; limited to 2500M by random
4 Stars: 4 stars; not listened in the last 4 days; limited to 5000M by least recently played
5 Stars: 5 stars; not listened in the last day; limited to 600M (pretty much all)
Highest Rated Rookies: 4 or 5 stars; not listened in the last 3 days; limited to 100M by least often played
Hand Picked: in a playlist of hand picked music; not listened in the last month; limited to 300M by random
Recently Added: Rating is not 1 or 2 stars; not listened in the last 3 days; added in the last 45 days; limited to 500M by most recently added
Upcoming Show: in a playlist for whatever live show I have coming up next; limited to 200M by least recently played

All this adds up to a main playlist of ~11G which can be the basis for all my other playlists (http://forums.ilounge.com/showpost.p...&postcount=175). This leaves plenty of room for more music and using any additional features on the Touch like games, apps and video. I may put this on my regular iPod and see how that goes for a few weeks.

Last edited by nmajdan; 06-18-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

ctrl-click - won't work?

Following the steps as described in the very first post of this topic, but it doesn't work for me?

Please explain where/what I'm doing wrong...

On the iTunes screen wheren all the album covers can be seen on top, I cannot select a specific artist or album.
I highlight all the songs from one album using shift or ctrl (in order to select some songs), and when my selection is highlighted, I ctrl+click a checkbox in the highlighted zone.
Now, all checkboxes from all the songs in iTunes become unselected, next ctrl+click they are all selected again.

How do you do this? I tried several times, but couldn't succeed...

All help greatly appreciated.

I'm using Win XP SP2, iTunes 9.2.1.5 and an iPod Touch 16 GB 2nd Gen.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 PM

First, make sure you're in the List view, and not the Grid or Cover Flow views. You can choose View, As List from the iTunes menu to get back to list view.

Once you've done this, enable the Column Browser by pressing CTRL+B or selecting View, Column Browser, Show Column Browser from the iTunes menu. This should bring up a section either at the top of the screen or on the left-hand side of the screen that should allow you to filter the list by genre, artist or album. You can also change which columns are available on the View, Column Browser menu, as well as choosing whether you want it displayed on the top or on the left side of the screen.

Once you have that setup, you can select an artist or album to filter the list view to only that specific area, at which point CTRL+CLICK should work to check/uncheck the visible items.

Note that with iTunes 10 you can also select several items in any view by highlighting them (using SHIFT or CTRL to select multiple items as you normally would), and then right-click and choose Check or Uncheck Selection from the context menu, as appropriate.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM

ryanlawrence171
Banned

Is it really possible?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 AM

annaharris
Banned

How does it work? and How can I add library more then my iPhone's space?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for posting OP! Have wondered how to do this for a while!

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.