A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod - Page 5 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

great, but can you please tell me how to get to the "only match checked songs, so i can set it to do so...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM

iPod Lounge Lizard

It's in your iPod Options menu...

Click the image to open in full size.

4G 40G * Shure E2c * Contour Design Showcase
Old 06-10-2005, 04:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

how can you tell how much music you've checked?

Hi all,

ashawley states that the advantage of using a smart playlist is that you can easily see how much music you have checked and will be synced with the ipod however where can you see this? The status on the bottom of iTunes states the total # of songs and total # of gigs which always matches what is in your library regardless of whether it is checked or not. How can you tell how much music you have checked and what will be eventually transferred to the ipod when you sync?

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, I realized you need to have 'Match only checked songs' for the smart playlist.

Last edited by fingereleven; 06-10-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Is there any Windows based programs that I can use to sync my ipod and itunes, that will send only the songs missing in itunes from my ipod to my computer. I only want the songs missing from itunes to be copied from my ipod. Is there any software for Windows?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Better way to check/uncheck

Version 4.9

Sort your library so the group you wish to check/uncheck is contiguous. Select first, hold shift and click on last and everything in between will select. Now right click and there will be and option to check or uncheck the selected songs. If you have a mixed bunch that you want to ckeck make sure that you right click over a song that is currently unchecked and vise versa.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Junior Lounger

I have a 20g 3G ipod with about 16g of music on it (my entire current library) and I just got a 4g nano and found the suggestions on this thread invaluable in setting both to sync properly. I'm using ashawley and razortag's suggestions to create a "NanOn" and a "NanOff" playlist for the songs that will sync w/ my nano and those that won't based entirely on checked songs. My one concern is that it's pretty easy to check or uncheck a song in the library by accident or worse, to have a bunch or all songs selected and mess things up. Is there any way to protect against this? How about turning off the Live Update check box in the Smart Playlist window? How does this work exactly?

It would be cool if you could somehow create a smart playlist that monitors the NanOn and NanOff playlists to see the most recently added or removed songs from those lists (not from the library, just from the playlists) - that way I can clearly see if I've added or removed an errant song - any way to do this? Any other suggestions?

Thought about using the ratings field as a marker to indicate which songs I want on and off the nano but that's a bit of pain. Are there any other dummy fields (other than comments b/c I actually do have some meaningful comments) that let you batch edit them that I can use.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by EricScott; 10-18-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 AM

Senior Lounger

HELP - Unchecked Boxes Will Not Play on Random

When I uncheck my boxes on songs in iTunes and set them to play randomly - the iTunes song selector will not select the unboxed songs! Yet I want them to, even though I dont want it on my iPod! What should I do?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

hi, hopefully this question HAS been asked before and I can be pointed in the direction of the answer, if not, help please.

I have a iTunes library of 17.10GB, that's fine for my 20GB iPod. I also have a 4GB mini. I've created a Smart Playlist with 314 songs (1.31GB) and put them on the mini. In the Smart Playlist the "Match the Following Rule" in UNCHECKED. I have temporarily limited the Smart Playlist to 314 songs selected by artist. The "Match only checked songs" is CHECKED.

Problem is, I want to put more songs on the mini. If I connect it nothing will happen as I have it set to "Manually manage songs and playlists" so thats okay. Can someone explain how I would put, say, 10 songs on. I have a feeling I should firstly set the limit to 324 songs. Problem is everything in my library is now checked so I don't know if the first 10 songs in my library will automatically go in, or if the first 324 songs in my library will replace what is currently in the Smart List. If I was to uncheck all the songs in my library everything will go from the Smart List.

Ideas?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 AM

Junior Lounger

best method is auto sync to your playlist for the mini so all you do is manage the smart playlist and "update" ipod.

you can also drag/drop 10 songs on the mini easily.

i would use TAGGING (not checking) to manage my library subset for the mini. for example tag use the "grouping" field and enter "sync" or something to the songs you want to do.

among the benefits of TAGGING (not checking) is if you lose your iTunes database due to corruption, pc crash, etc. the files will still be tagged to sync if you rebuild your library from the mp3s on the ipod (or backed up).
Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

:: ADVANCED SMART PLAYLISTS FOR LIBRARY BIGGER THAN iPOD ::

If you have a big library with diferent genres of music, You might not want to mix them all on some "least played" or "Highest rating" playlists. I'm posting a tutorial on REALLY SMART genre playlists.

First you have to build 2 "building block" smart playlist for each genre. And should be organized in folders.

How to make "building blocks":

You should make 2 "building block" smart playlist for each genre.

First : name this as "(genre) rating" and use "all" as criteria
genre is - "your choice of genre"
my rating is higher than - "0 stars"
Limit to 150MB by least recently played

Second : name this "(genre) play count" and use "all" as criteria
Genre is - "same genre as last one"
playlist is not - "(genre) rating"
playcount is not greater than - 5
last played is not in the last - 5 days

Make the playlist that you will autosync in your iPod:
name it "(genre)" and use "any" as criteria
playlist is - "(genre) play count"
playlist is - "(genre) rating"
limit to 300MB random

With this playlist you have a size limited smart playlist of a genre that contains all or most of your rated song plus a random selection of song you haven't listened to many times or in a while.

PLEASE POST COMMENTS !!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Junior Lounger

how can you get around itunes not taking the ratings you've made on the ipod and updating when you've got manually update on?

-----------------------

vinyl ripper , i pay $10 per song!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Checked/Unchecked songs

Unfortunately, one of the features of unchecking a song or album is you can no longer play them on your PC more than one at a time. Uncheck an album of songs, play the first song and iTunes will stop after it plays instead of playing the whole album. So... I use the word "unchecked" in my comment field to prevent certain albums/songs from getting to my iPod.

Works the same way... a little more time consuming the first time through the database... but allows me to play those albums from my PC that I don't want on my iPod.

In my "iPod - All" playlist I have the line "Comment does not contain unchecked".
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 AM

Reclined Lounger

Yeah they really need a preference setting to allow unchecked songs to play normally in iTunes.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

a much debated and cool topic.

to Nerve: itunes won't play unchecked songs. that's why i use the comments section. i put a 1 in the comments of every single song then i changed it to nothing on the stuff that i don't want on the pod. i use a smart playlist with the condition that 1 must be in the comments section.

so...although the check and uncheck system is good, i think that the comments version is more versatile because a check box is binary while a comment can be anything. therefore, it works for large libraries (comments 1), people with multiple ipods (hers=1, his =2), creating not on ipod list (comment NOT 1), hearing unwanted songs at home, and other general screwing around.

note: its also easy to add the criteria too your existing playlists.

blah blah blah.
as if six pages wasn't long enough....my 2 cents on 3 cents of memory!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Another way to do this is to:
-Select the first one by clicking on it with the mouse
-While holding down the Shift key, click on the ones below that you want to include so they all are selected
-Right click the mouse
-Select "Uncheck Selection"

This same procedure then can be done for checking the selection by right clicking and selecting "Check Selection"

Thanks for posting this though otherwise I would still be lost!

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.