A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Viewing unchecked songs

My goal was to figure out how to view my unchecked songs (since some of my checked albums will be trashed soon - They're just not up to snuff!)

First, I set up a standard "Checked for iPod" smart-playlist for syncing to my ipod. (Uncheck all criteria, except "Match only checked songs", and limit size to 100 gigs) It's great to know exactly how many gigs/megs I have checked!

Obviously, I've set the iPod to sync only the checked songs.

Then, I set up an "Unchecked songs" smart-playlist, with the only condition being "Playlist is NOT Checked for iPod". Simple as that! All my unchecked songs live happily in this playlist, hoping to someday make it back onto my iPod.

This answers a question someone had before about viewing unchecked songs. Could this be done with the older version of iTunes?

- Dave

P.S. I manage my "Checked for iPod" playlist to be 37.2 gigs. The 100 gig limit is just there to satisfy iTunes' silly requirement to have SOMETHING determining the playlist, besides it just being your checked songs.

Last edited by razortag; 05-17-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

For what it's worth, I do it like this:

I give one star to all the tracks I always want to be on my iPod no matter what, and have a playlist to select >=1 star - so my core tracks are always there.

I have a size-limited playlist selecting on added in the last three months, which excludes the first one, set to select by order added most recent first - this makes sure all my new tunes are always there.

I have a size limited playlist selecting on play count = 0, excluding the above two - this makes sure that unplayed songs bubble to the surface.

Finally I have a size limited playlist exclusing the above three on random selection - which fills up the iPod with old, played non-favourites!

Works well once set up; the sizes need twaeking from time to time to keep the iPod at capacity
Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 PM

nervousacceleration

FWIW, thanks for keeping this as a sticky, even though the last post was 5 months ago. I have been trying to figure out how to uncheck multiple things at a time, as opposed to unchecking each song on a cd in itunes, and the <ctrl> <click> is the key. Saved me a bunch of time and hassle, especially since those check boxes are really small on my screen. Now I don't always have to have the kids music on my ipod.

Last edited by tensionrev; 11-18-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:50 PM

Junior Lounger

I had tried everything to uncheck all songs by artist for a looooong time. THANK YOU!! That's the one step I was missing. You rule
Old 12-13-2004, 02:11 AM

Senior Lounger

thank you nice help!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool

Thanks mucho, I had been trying to figure out the best way to do this and you just saved me a bunch of time.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

A similar idea!

I handle this thing the following way... I think others have done close to the same. I'm not sure I understand how this is better or worse than other ideas in this thread, but here goes:

1. Create a regular playlist... I called it "on the pod"...Leaving all music in the itunes library checked

2. Using the Browse function I added the 35GB or so that I wanted included on the ipod (40GB) to this "on the pod". IT doesn't take as long as you'd think, sometimes I'd throw entire Genres in.

3. With the ipod connected, I set the options for "Automatically update selected playlists only" and checked this "on the pod" playlist as well as any others that include music within the "on the pod" list. Leave the "only update checked songs" box unchecked.

4. For any smartlists that I already had tha I wanted on the ipod, I went in and included a condition <Playlist><is><"on the pod">. This made sure tha no extra music was included on the ipod "accidentally".

As an afterthought I made a new Smartplaylist called "Not on the pod" with the condition <Playlist><is not><"on the pod">. This gives me an exact list of what I do not have on my ipod. This is not checked in the options window so that nothing in here gets to the ipod.

The benefit of this as I see it is that I don't deal with checked and unchecked songs. (I'd likely control click them all sooner or later, and wreck all of my settings and have to reselect them all). This also allows itunes to playback as normal.

The only downside I see is that I do have to throw anything new into the "on the pod" list myself. There is nothing "smart" about what's getting synced. I do this occasionally by just sorting by "date added". I throw some out and add the new, always keeping around 35-37GB.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I'm always trying to make it easier!
Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 AM

Reclined Lounger

OMG, I can now scratch "not being able to do multiple checkboxes at once" off my list of things I hate about iTunes. What were they thinking? Thanks, ashawley!!

~slicky

Click the image to open in full size.
:. U2 SE iPod :. Shure E3 :. Grado SR60 :. Pocket Amp 2 :. Showcase :.
.: hacked iTrip .: Hand-rolled P4 3.2GHz .: ~90GB .: EAC/LAME --aps .:
:: what I'm listening to :: audioScrobbler - snag it! ::
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

sry forget this was ever here! i screwed up.

sorry!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Junior Lounger

This is exactly what I needed to know. Another tip, instead of creating a playlist to only copy checked songs, you can do this

To automatically update your iPod with only certain songs, check the boxes next to songs you want to transfer in the iTunes window (by default, all songs are checked). Then choose Edit > Preferences and click the iPod tab. Click the Music tab and make sure "Automatically update all songs and playlists" is selected. Then select the "Only update checked songs" checkbox.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeesh.

I've read almost every post in this thread and I am still completely baffled.

I know what I want is somewhere in here - just ain't finding it. I want to "see" all the songs that aren't on my iPod.

I'm using iTunes 4.7.1.30 and an iPod mini. I want to "see" what songs in my library aren't on my iPod (I guess a smart playlist) and oh...oh.

Duh, NM, I just needed to make a playlist that doesnot contain songs on my iPod playlist.

Yeesh, thank God I can lift heavy things.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Arggh.

How can you make a playlist that of what is on your iPod?
Old 05-01-2005, 04:00 PM

iPod Lounge Lizard

Yeah, Mandos, I'm with you too.

I can't figure out how to do this without going through the mind-numbing task of manually checking and unchecking the music in my 80+ gig iTunes library.

Am I just a moron for not being able to figure out how to have a smart playlist that contains everything NOT on my iPod? It's just confusing me because iTunes tells me that I need to use "manual updating" since my iTunes library is so much larger than my 40 gig iPod's capacity.

Help....please?

4G 40G * Shure E2c * Contour Design Showcase
Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've done this quite effectively with a series of Smart Playlists:

Playlist #1 - Party Mix (songs that are generally popular & good for parties). This is a manual playlist I created by clicking & dragging the songs I wanted. I wanted to make sure all these songs are always on the iPod, and the Party Mix playlist would be available.

Playlist #2 - Favourites. This is a smart playlist of songs I created that includes all 4 and 5 star songs.

Playlist #4-10. These are manual playlists that I created for certain moods. I wanted to have all of these playlists available to use on the iPod when I feel like listening to a more narrow selection.

Playlist #11. "All Custom Playlists". This one's set up to match any of the above conditions: Playlist=Party Mix, Playlist= Favourites, etc. Basically, this includes all of the songs I know I want to be on the iPod all the time.

Playlist #12: "Other iPod Songs" - Playlist is not "All Custom Playlists", and star rating is not = 1 star. (this picks up songs I haven't rated yet, but won't give me songs I dislike)
I set this playlist to be limited to the remaining space on my iPod after subtracting the space for the custom playlists, selected by Random.

Playlist #13: "ipod Sync" - Match any of the following: Playlist = "All Custom Playlists, Playlist" = "Other iPod Songs"

I also added a comment to the duplicate version of songs (typed in "duplicate" in the comment field and added a filter to remove any songs where comment contains 'duplicate', or genre = "Holiday". When Christmas season starts and I feel like listening to those again, I just remove the condition from the custom playlist for the "Other iPod Songs".

The iPod Sync, Party Mix, Favourites, and the various other playlists are all checked off in the Update iPod options.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 AM

iPod Lounge Lizard

(boomp)

4G 40G * Shure E2c * Contour Design Showcase

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.