A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-23-2003, 06:30 PM

Senior Lounger

thanks!

Apple's playlists aren't quite so "smart" anymore.
http://www.dumbplaylists.com
Old 10-24-2003, 08:43 AM

Senior Lounger

Stark23x,

Do you manually sync to your 2 playlists, or automatically? I figure it must be manual, as you have 2 different iPods (correct me if I'm wrong)

My situation is similar. I have a 15GB and my wife a 10GB. Hers is a subset of mine.

Is there a way to autosync 2 different iPods with different playlists? I'm not yet ready to autosync, as I'm in the process of re-ripping all my cds to AAC, so I still have a combination of MP3 and AAC on my iPod - I do it one cd at a time, so I get the same tracks as before. I check iPod MP3 list for which tracks I grabbed off a particular CD, re-rip those into AAC, delete the MP3s from iPod and copy over the new ones. That way I always have a complete collection on my iPod until all are re-ripped.

When I'm done, I'd like to switch to automatic it that's possible with our 2 devices...

Thanks

Randy
Old 10-25-2003, 11:24 PM

What would even be nicer is to be able to have multiple libraryies. In MC9 I can have a library for me and one for my wife. This way we can each create our own playlists and keep them separate, and we have our own ratings for tunes etc.

Basically the same concept of user accounts, stark but taking it one step further.

I also use another library for all of my digital photos etc. 'Course I'd need iPhoto for that I guess. Doubt that's gonna happen since hell froze over already.

Adam

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 AM

Senior Lounger

stark23x: I agree that I wasn't initially autosyncing. But you might want to check my 2 posts in this thread:
http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthr...threadid=13294

Now I autosync to avoid this.

Adam:
I'm now following your method of managing songs, as I just got over my ipod limit yesterday. Thanks for the great post! One question, when doing the syncing (autosyncing), I'm assuming that I have to have the "Only update checked songs" option checked. When I have this option unchecked, my itunes unchecked songs stay on my ipod after a sync. So I checked this option, and it works now. Is that right?

Apple's playlists aren't quite so "smart" anymore.
http://www.dumbplaylists.com
Old 10-29-2003, 01:09 PM

Yup...that's right huggies.

Adam

Old 10-31-2003, 07:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by stark23x
Another tip...

My wife and I both use my 9000+ song library, but do not have the same musical tastes in everything. I wanted to use this playlist idea to automate the management of our 30GB pods...so, I use the comments section...
Nice idea! Although I'll only have one iPod, when we go on Holiday together, I guess I'm gonna have to take some music that's good for both of us, I think this will do it.

To the Mods...Thanks for keeping this thread sticky!!!

I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 11-02-2003, 03:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

This all works great for me, but I have one more thing I like to figure out. Is there a way to make a smart playlist (self updating) that shows which songs are NOT checked and synced with my iPod?

Then, I could just go into the playlist and add songs (check them) to be synced, without going through my entire library.

I've been trying, but I can't figure it out, and am not even sure if it's possible.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks...
Old 12-01-2003, 04:51 PM

Junior Lounger

OK I'm really stuck with this. Maybe I'm trying to achieve something different and barking up the wrong tree. I have 49 gb of mp3s, but only a 40gb iPod (I think about 37gb in reality). Why can't I just keep deselecting tracks/albums/artists until I reach my target? Isn't there a little counter anywhere? The reading at the bottom always gives the total amount in the library, rather than selected tracks. This also applies if I create a smart playlist, and why would I want to set the limit to 100gb? Shouldn't it be the same as the capacity of my iPod?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Senior Lounger

Another method--simple and powerful

Another method, which I like better, here:
http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthr...threadid=22266

Have your cake and eat it too! I've gotten a lot of good feedback that this method works great for people. Feel free to sticky it in this forum too.

Using checkmarks is good alternative to have as well, though.

Last edited by nagromme; 03-06-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:15 PM

An alternative, true, but you lose control as to what's actually on the iPod. Not something I like. I like to know what's on there in case I have an urgin' to hear a specific tune.

Adam

Old 03-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

My dilemma: I often listen to the songs in my library using iTunes on my PC. Since my library is bigger than 4GB, I've unchecked a lot of music using the method described earlier in this thread. However, once you've unchecked a song, or specifically, all the songs in an album, you can no longer play the album all the way through. Each song must be started individually if it is unchecked, which is incovenient, to say the least. Any workarounds? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yes, I have the exact same problem.

That fact alone makes it impossible for me to use the checked/unchecked system for my ipod.

I'm seriously considering switching music player because of this. How are the smart playlists on MC9?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorting

I was reading over this and I think it addresses a question I have had. Is there a way to make iTunes tell you waht is on your ipod and what is not and then simply select weather you want it to be on your ipod or not and just have it autosync. For instance say im browsin my library and go wonder if that is on my ipod or not do I have to swtich over to the player and serach for it to see if its there or not or can itunes highlight waht songs are either on your player or not on your player. Any way if anybody else has found this frustrating let me know perhaps we can write apple about including some more powerful synchronizing features into iTunes. I love iTunes just wish it could do a better job of managing the player and the library and letting you know what is where and easily moving it back and forth. I thought about this a minute and decided to add some stuff. Basically I want to be able to be browsing my music library in iTunes because I cant always rember everything I have. And while im browsing is there a way to say hum wonder if that is on my player or not and be able to see it withouth switching to the ipod and running a search for that artist or song and just having it displayed in front of you. Its a major pain in the ### to have to flip back and forth should be able to know that information when you are browsing the library any way if anybody understands this and knows another way let me know mabye this meathod does this not sure going ot play with it tonight and see what it does any way thanks for the info this forum is a life saver.

Last edited by leedawg; 04-27-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up IT works great!!!!

Okay I tried it it works grea tnad basically does what im asking you can tell whats on your ipod or not from whats checked or unchecked basically when your viewing your normal collection thanks for the great tip.

Lee dawg
Old 04-30-2004, 12:25 AM

snark snark snark

iTunes 4.5 now has the ability to create nested playlists. Therefore.. all your problems are solved!!!

The NEW procedure is therefore....

1. Create a smart playlist that limits your songs to the capacity of your iPod and call this something like "iPod tunes". If you tick the "match only checked songs" then you can include all the tracks you've previously selected with the old method.

2. In each playlist that you wish to have on your ipod, add a step that matches where Playlist = "iPod Tunes"

3. Select the ipod tunes playlist and any other smart playlist you want to be automatically updated.

4. Update ipod and be thoroughly impressed with the new nested playlists feature!

Topic: A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.