Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Re: Cleaning out iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-11-2005, 07:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Cleaning out iTunes Library

I have about 6700 songs in my iTunes library, and I've realized that this amount makes it virtually impossible to stumble across any of my favorite songs buried in the mix because I seem to only listen to what I've put into playlists (due to the fact that there is a ton of junk in my library)...So I've decided to clean out my library and narrow it down to a reasonable amount of songs...something like 2000+/- should suffice...having said that, I also have no intention of deleting the unused songs...rather I would like to back them up to an external hard drive or onto several dvds for storage in case I ever wanted to add any of them back...

my question is this...what's going to be the best way for me to remove approximately 4000 songs from my iTunes library and from my primary iTunes music folder,and onto an external storage device? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Could you think of some way of defining the songs you don't want, and make a playlist containing them? Then create a folder on your desktop and drag and drop all the unwanted songs into that folder. Then stick that folder onto the external hard drive. Go back to the playlist and alter one of the searchable fields (like 'artist' or 'song') on all the tracks to (something like) 'unwanted', anyway some term that will come up with JUST those songs (ie make sure it's a word that won't be contained in any song you DO want to keep). Then do a search in your iTunes for that word - and delete the whole lot.

It's crazy...but it just might work.

Come with me, leave yesterday behind
And take a giant step outside your mind
Old 08-20-2005, 09:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

ratings are the key

I also have a very large library, and giving songs ratings and creating smart playlists was the key. I have many CDs of music for the Holidays, so I gave all of those CDs a rating of 1. I also gave them a custom genre of Christmas. I did the same with other random things I'd like to keep but only under specific circumstances, like monk chants. I then created a smart playlist that eliminated these things by genre and only showed songs that did not have a rating and had not been played in the past 4 weeks, and then I had it limit the list to 50 songs with live updating checked (very important), and told it to sort by the least recently played. The playlist that will result will be the things you have not listened to for the longest time. When each song plays I give it a rating. Because there is live updating, the moment it gets a rating, it will drop off the playlist. You'll pretty quickly be able to go through your entire library and give everything a rating and then you can use the rating system to set up smart playlists. One of my favorite playlists I call hidden gems. It contains anything with a 3 or higher rating that has not been played in the last 2 months, limited to 50 songs with live updating, sorted by the least most recently played. It's great, cause I'll hear things that I like but haven't listened to in 6 months. I listen to these lists when creating other playlists for specific occasions. It takes some time (probably about 2 full months of spare time for my 5,000 song library) but once it's done creating custom playlists is a snap. Once you've invested this kind of time in your library make sure you back it up. I once had a creash and lost all the meta data and I cried...oh how I cried.

Topic: Re: Cleaning out iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.