"Compilations" complications

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

epie

Hello,

I just finished loading my cd collection into iTunes and then synced with my 40GB photo. I was unaware of the Compilations directory which would be automatically created on my iPod. When I browsed this directory on the iPod I noticed several albums which I never intended to have in this directory ( I would rather have them in Artist directory). I then went back into Itunes, selected all of the songs on that album, and then changed "Part of a compilation" from "yes" to "no". I then resynced but noticed that all of these albums did not move to the Artists directory on the iPod even though they are no longer listed as part of a compilation in iTunes. What's the answer? Do I need to re-rip this CD and make sure I don't have as part of a compilation at that time? What a pain.....

Last edited:

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
If you have iTunes set to "keep your library organized", it should automatically move them to the compilations folder.
I agree, I hate it when people have single-artist compilations set improperly. That's why I always make sure to check the compilations tag before I rip.

Batiu-Drami

Galley said:
If you have iTunes set to "keep your library organized", it should automatically move them to the compilations folder.
I agree, I hate it when people have single-artist compilations set improperly. That's why I always make sure to check the compilations tag before I rip.
What is the point of the compilations directory?

I haven't played with it, because I don't want to have to re-tag all my files if something goes wrong.

Is it set up to have all the separate songs as (Artist) - (Title) or as (Compilation name as artist tag) - (Artist / Title in title tag)? And, does it work with iPod?

melsmusic

If the same artist album is going into the compilations folder instead of the artist file you just select all the songs and right click "Get Info" .. tick the compilations tab and select NO.

I just tested it and it works. Once you select NO with the tick they then relocate into the arists folder.

You need to have your settings to organise music library in preferences.

epie

Still a little confused. What are the implications if I uncheck the "Keep library organized" setting in iTunes. Will it then finally move all of the unchecked compilation albums to artist directory? By unchecking this will I mess up artist/album organization on iPod?

melsmusic

No you keep that checked as it will not work without ticking "keep itunes music folder organised" under the advanced tab.

I have that box ticked.

I went into my complilations folder and I also had say "david bowie changes" album in compilations.

I went into itunes highlighted all the songs in the changes album by david bowie, right clicked to get info and then ticked the compilation box and selected NO. It then automatically relocated the song files into the David Bowie folder with changes as the folder name.

I tried it also on the doors album. It worked again.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter where the files are located .. or if itunes changes them automatically. It won't change your info in itunes and then in turn your ipod.

Only if you go in and manually move things around or change folder names then you will have to relocate the files.

epie

I've done that in iTunes but the albums aren;t moving on the iPod. I wonder if this is a bug with the 40GB iPod Photo or v4.9 of iTunes. I'm not sure what to do next. I've even had one album appear in both the compilations and artist directories. Strange stuff.

melsmusic

Ok I haven't tested the theory in the ipod. I haven't connected yet today so I will check those albums I have changed before connecting and see if the changes are made in my ipod after connecting.

Edit:

OK I checked my albums in my ipod and the album I exampled above "changes" david bowie was sitting in my compilations folder in itunes music library folder.

But it still shows as "changes" album in my ipod before & after connecting. I don't even show a compilations album in my ipod.

It made no difference where the song files were located.

I'm not really sure what's going on with your files but location doesn't really matter so much if your itunes database is tagged correctly.

Check to make sure you have the album field correctly named etc etc.

Last edited:

epie

I'm not sure I undferstand what you mean by "Compilations folder" in iTunes. I have a diretory called iTunes Music Library" and within that library are all the artist folders. In those folders are al the albums. The only place where there I have a compilations directory is on the iPod photo. Any more info. or details would be much appreciated.

As an aside I called Apple to day to talk about the problem and they told me to re-rip the CD's and make sure that they are no tpart of compilation upon intitial rip. I got the impression that this is a known problem with either 4.9 and/or 40GB iPod photo as they said this should go away with 5.0 (whenever that gets released).

melsmusic

Sorry epie you've lost me now.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to achieve.

I thought you were saying when you ripped an album it went into the "Compilations" folder instead of the Artists folder.

Ticking "no" to compilations will rectify that problem.

On the photos part sorry I don't have a photo ipod so I don't have any experience in that.

epie

I appreciate the help anyway. I thought I was clear initially when I said that I tried to change this setting after the rip by selecting all the songs on the album, right clicking to "Get Info" menu, and then unchecking the "Part of a Compilation" box and then resynch. Unfortunately the change in Itunes is not getting reflected on the iPod. ANyway, I think you hit upon the key here which is what Apple told me in that I need to re-rip and change the "Part of Compilation" setting at that time. I'll go back and do that tonight or tomorrow night and then re-post so that I can provide an update to others.

Also, if any others have a smiliiar experience or advice I'd like to hear about it.

Once agin here is hoping that Itunes 5.0 is the "Silver Bullet" for this problem.

Thanks!

Jupke

iBone
Hi Epie,

check my post of today:

Problems with playlists in iPod

I have an idea we are talking about the same stuff, and it drives me nuts..............:confused:

melsmusic

Sorry could not help out Epie.

I thought it was more an organisation of your music library that you were after.

I don't quite get what's happening with your ipod. If you could explain the details of what it is you don't want on your ipod maybe I could help.

And before you start the tedious task of re-ripping I would try out something else first because you can fix up tagging, naming etc without that hassle. :p

Just give us a bit more info and maybe if I can't answer someone else can to save you heaps of time.

Last edited:

epie

Once I again I really appreciate your efforts here to help mel. I see where my original post may have been alittle confusing so I went back and detailed it a little better. Also here is a quick example of my problem using one album as an example:

1. I ripped Oasis - "What's the Story Morning Glory" album into iTunes.

2. Itunes autonatically assigned this as a "compilation" album (why? - I have no idea?)

3. I synchronized with iPod and album was not placed under Oasis in my Artist directory on iPod but instead was placed in "Compilation" directory on iPod.

4. I don;t like this organization so I went into iTunes and selected/highlited all the songs on this album, I then right-clicked to get pop-up menu, and clicked "Get Info".

5. Album information screen pops up and I then check the "Part of a Compilation" box to register an edit and then change the "Yes" to "No".

6. I resynchronize with my Ipod in hopes that the Oasis album will now be moved out of the Compilations directory on the iPod and into the Artist's directory on the iPod and it doesn't move.

7. I go back and look at all the songs on the Oasis album in Itunes and sure enough they are no longer listed as "Part of a Compilation"

8. So.....If Itunes says that this album is no longer part of a compilation, why doesn;t Ipod recognize the database change?

Hope this helps.....

Samiad

Wishing Troll
Website
www.samiad.co.uk
epie said:
Once I again I really appreciate your efforts here to help mel. I see where my original post may have been alittle confusing so I went back and detailed it a little better. Also here is a quick example of my problem using one album as an example:

1. I ripped Oasis - "What's the Story Morning Glory" album into iTunes.

2. Itunes autonatically assigned this as a "compilation" album (why? - I have no idea?)

3. I synchronized with iPod and album was not placed under Oasis in my Artist directory on iPod but instead was placed in "Compilation" directory on iPod.

4. I don;t like this organization so I went into iTunes and selected/highlited all the songs on this album, I then right-clicked to get pop-up menu, and clicked "Get Info".

5. Album information screen pops up and I then check the "Part of a Compilation" box to register an edit and then change the "Yes" to "No".

6. I resynchronize with my iPod in hopes that the Oasis album will now be moved out of the Compilations directory on the iPod and into the Artist's directory on the iPod and it doesn't move.

7. I go back and look at all the songs on the Oasis album in Itunes and sure enough they are no longer listed as "Part of a Compilation"

8. So.....If Itunes says that this album is no longer part of a compilation, why doesn;t iPod recognize the database change?

Hope this helps.....
I have this problem, many times. Some albums I need to make compilations DON'T actually go as compilations on the ipod unless I do it a few times.

Same thing for taking things OUT of compilations - I need to do it a few times for it to take effect. Bug.

melsmusic

Yeah I get it now epie and Jupke is this what I get for helping you out. Go out and enjoy your Holland lifestyle !! :D

Do you have your ipod set to auto sync?

Funny enough I had Oasis same album also went into compilations. I changed it and it's now located in the Oasis folder so can't check it now.

But checking John Mellencamp "Wild Night" album single. It's sitting as a complilation BUT checking my ipod under John Mellencamp "Wild Night" is still listed as an album so the theory of changing the location of the files doesn't hold up.

I am at a loss on your problem why they are showing like that.

You do have your field (Album) tagged correctly?

epie

"I have this problem, many times. Some albums I need to make compilations DON'T actually go as compilations on the ipod unless I do it a few times.

Same thing for taking things OUT of compilations - I need to do it a few times for it to take effect. Bug."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please clarify exactly what you mean by " I need to do it a few times". What is the process you use?

Thanks

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I think it is because the iPod doesn't see any reason to update the songs on the iPod....

May I make an odd suggestion. Go into one of the albums and change the album name to all the songs... Then change them back to the original album name and then resync. This might force the iPod to update the songs.

Some changes to tags do not force the iPod to update songs.

If this doesn't work, may I suggest a more radical try of restoring the iPod and then refilling the iPod. Only do this if all of your music is safely in iTunes.

Hope this helps. I think there is a little confusion, because the iPod has never had a compilations separate like itunes did until recently it seems and it was only in the newer firmware, not for 3rd gen and earlier.

Good luck,
Stuart

epie

Thanks for the reply, studogvetmed. I like your logic here and will try the song editing plan you have laid out here. I am trying to avoid resetting my Ipod because other than this issue it is chugging along rather nicely with all artwork loaded, ratings working fine, podcasts updating, and smart playlists doing their thing, etc. I'll keep everyone posted as I am noticing lots of hits here so seems like I am not alone with this issue. I would hope that Apple would address (as they told me on the phone) this with Itunes 5.0 as to me this should be part of basic functionality of an iPod.