Play count not updating from Ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Andys

When I connect my iPod, the play count in iTunes does not increase for any songs. It only increases if I play a song from within iTunes itself. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance

Andy

dharmabum420

Play Count only updates if you have automatic updates turned on.

Furthermore, if you edit a song in iTunes (by changing any of the tags or playing it, increasing its play count) before syncing your iPod, the iPod won't update the count for that song, as the version on the computer is considered more recent.

Andys

I've got the 'Automatically update all songs and playlists' box checked in preferences. Or are you talking about somehting else?
Thanks
Andy

dharmabum420

No, that's what I'm talking about... with it turned on, the songs you played on the iPod should be updated when you sync.

I'm not sure what your problem would be, unless you've a) modified any songs you listened to on the iPod in iTunes before re-syncing, or b) you aren't playing the songs all the way through on the iPod, maybe?

jds69

Re: Play count not updating from iPod

Andys said:
When I connect my iPod, the play count in iTunes does not increase for any songs. It only increases if I play a song from within iTunes itself. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance

Andy
I'm having the same problem. Playcount and ratings in iTunes seem to override playcount and ratings in the iPod. I thought might be happening, but just confirmed it. Rated a song on the iPod - connected to iTunes to update and the rating is gone. It is set to auto update and I didn't make any changes to the song in iTunes. I am using iTunes 4.9 w/ 60gig iPod running 1.1 software.

jds69

Re: Re: Play count not updating from iPod

jds69 said:
I'm having the same problem. Playcount and ratings in iTunes seem to override playcount and ratings in the iPod. I thought might be happening, but just confirmed it. Rated a song on the iPod - connected to iTunes to update and the rating is gone. It is set to auto update and I didn't make any changes to the song in iTunes. I am using iTunes 4.9 w/ 60gig iPod running 1.1 software.
um..yeah - nevermind, sorry.

kingpause

Okay, I just did the above and lost ALL my ratings and playcounts.

Not a huge deal, but seriously, wtf? I'm sure there's some obvious thing I did wrong, or some obvious reason why this can't be done, but doesn't it make sense that a playcount from the thing that you carry around with you 8-10 hours a day would be more accurate than the playcount from software that you only use one or two hours a day, if that?

Also, why even have the capability of changing a song's star-rating from your iPod if the ratings are going to change back into whatever they are in iTunes when you synch?

Like I said, either there's something really obvious that I did wrong, or there's a really obvious and logical explanation why this can't be done.

It's too late for me, but an answer will certainly help the next person along with the same questions.

Dragon27

Website
www.bsforums.co.uk
So there's no way to update the counts if it's set to manual update? That sucks, cause I have way more songs on itunes than will fit on the pod.

kingpause

Dragon27 said:
So there's no way to update the counts if it's set to manual update? That sucks, cause I have way more songs on itunes than will fit on the pod.
It would appear to me, and somebody please correct me if I am wrong, that iTunes is God, and any changes from synching/updating goes only in one direction: from iTunes to iPod.

Pity, if true.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Ratings and playcounts will sync between the iPod and iTunes as well as last played date.

You must be on automatic update for this to work. You can be on "update selected playlists only" and have it work. This would be great for someone with a bigger library than iPod.

The catch is that if there are any changes to the files in iTunes (besides playing a song or changing a rating), then all iPod changes of rating/playcount will be lost and be replaced by the last iteration in iTunes. Always sync your iPod to iTunes BEFORE making any iTunes changes if you have played anything on your iPod since your last sync. Do NOT make changes to iTunes between syncs if you want to be sure that iPod changes get updated to iTunes.

The person who changed from manual to automatic lost all iPod changes probably because all the iTunes stuff was considered new and a real "sync" didn't happen, but an overwrite.

This works for most people. Not sure the exact issue the users in this thread are truley having.

Kanein Encanto

My copy of iTunes was doing this, not updating 'last played'

Turns out, iTunes doesn't like going into hibernation with my system. When I leave it for extended times I put it into hibernate. (Memory dumped to drive and computer turns off)

Soon as I shut down iTunes (had to use task manager to kill the process even after closing iTunes' window) and I restarted iTunes, the last played dates were now showing correct BEFORE I reconnected my iPod. Seems to me like iTunes had been writing the metadata for the tracks, but not going back and reading it.

Just thought I'd share the relization/fix I stumbled on this morning.