Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes Music Store in South Africa? When if Ever?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

Itunes Music Store in South Africa? When if Ever?

So does anyone have any info as to if and when we will get an iTunes Music Store in South africa?

Ok - So before you ask:

Yes I'm from SA.
Yes we have electricity.
We even have internet!
And no, there is no lion/elephant in my front yard.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Power Lounger

Aw, I was hoping to come tour your personal safari

The answer is "no one knows." It all depends on Apple and its ability to negotiate deals with the record labels in a country. Right now, they are working on deals for Australia and Japan, I have heard of no rumors of active negotiations in South Africa. Apple usually keeps these things pretty secretive, so I wouldn't hold your breath. It'll happen when it happens.

Chris - iOS Apps, Tips, Tricks, and Reviews
All iPhoneography, all the time.
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
Well, I got better...
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well it's been 2 years since Elroc and dcmacnut put their posts up about the iTunes Music Store coming to South Africa, or lack thereof.... I was hoping that someone would have some sort of news on the topic.
like Elroc, Yes I'm from SA
Yes we have electricity (most of the time)
Yes we have internet (not very fast and extremely expensive)
The lions, elephants etc. are either in the zoo or in the game park.... not too far away

For the record, until October 2006, I was an Apple technician, working at 'Cool Apple Buddy' (CAB) in Sandton (that place is as close as you can get to an actual Apple Store).
Even though I left for personal reasons, I have maintained close contact with the store owner.
Also, I know, because I've seen it and taken photos of it, that the store owner also owns and uses an iPhone.

Since the iPhone needs an iTunes and AT&T account to work (I know there are ways of getting it to work without AT&T), and his iPhone worked fully (i.e. he didn't use the cracks because they weren't available then), I can only assume that he got his iPhone working the old fashioned way... he's got an American friend paying for an account and he's using it illegally.

The problem with this scenario is that its next to impossible... because he is one of the few (about 4) people in South Africa to get an iPhone through Apple IMC, and they get everything legally.
- for those who dont know, an IMC Group is a privately-owned enterprise with diverse interests worldwide, with its core business in Shipping... basically Apple IMC (South Africa) brings all the Apple products into South Africa, so they would play a large role in bringing the iTunes Store and the iPhone to SA.

Separate from this, when I ask both current employees of CAB and Cellucity (a distributor for one of South Africa's cellular networks), they both give me the same answer... that the iPhone will go on sale in January 2008. If the iPhone goes on sale, it requires activation through iTunes, and therefor, I believe (and hope and pray), that iTunes will come into SA along with the iPhone in January or before... that is... if Apple does decide to launch the ITMS and iPhone in SA at all.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can try corroborate the above.

Lance

Topic: Itunes Music Store in South Africa? When if Ever?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.