Does iPod Touch Lightning support Audio-Out? (In Car Question) - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Does iPod Touch Lightning support Audio-Out? (In Car Question)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Junior Lounger

Does iPod Touch Lightning support Audio-Out? (In Car Question)

Hey iLoungers! I've used my 1st and 2nd gen iPod Touches for years at this point for in-car mp3 audio. My car does not have Bluetooth Audio Streaming, only Bluetooth for calls. (Model was one year off!)
I currently use:

iPod Touch 2nd Gen 64GB---->30 Pin car charger with 3.5mm Aux Out---->Nissan Murano Aux In port. (3.5mm to Red/White composite RCA cable)

This solution allows me to charge and have the audio out to the car. While my future car may be Bluetooth streaming compatible for mp3s I'd like to stay wired in to Aux for sound fidelity and easier use of Bluetooth for say Spotify etc.

Now my question has to do with the new Lightning dock port and how it handles audio.
  • Does the Apple Lightning dock support audio line out?
  • Do I have to use an approved Apple lightning dock? (I often use a cupholder or mount to hold the ipod)
  • Will any of these solutions let me do audio out and charge at the same time?

__________________________________________________ ____
64GB iPod Touch 4th Gen, 16GB iPod Touch 1st Gen, 80GB 5.5 Gen Video (*Update Stolen in 2009 :L), 40GB Clickwheel 4th Gen (Bad HD), 8GB Nano 2G, 2GB Nano
Combined collection (in iTunes) Pending Update
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM

I'll assume you don't have a USB port connected to your sound system, if you did you could run a cable between the two and maybe get control, streaming and charging all in one.

The official Apple iPod Lightning Dock does have a line out option, so you can utilize that for playback. Since it has the USB cable as well, you could plug that into a lighter USB power plug to charge at the same time.

With the checks that lightning does on authorized devices, yes you probably have to use something that is Apple approved. Though since this has been out for 3 years or more, there should be plenty of brands to choose from.

Your choice of device will dictate the charging and playback capability. If you use the official Apple one, as stated above you can do both.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Does iPod Touch Lightning support Audio-Out? (In Car Question)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.