Transferring Bookmarks To a New iPod Touch - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transferring Bookmarks To a New iPod Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-06-2017, 04:13 AM

Senior Lounger

Transferring Bookmarks To a New iPod Touch

I am considering getting rid of my iPod Touch 4 Gen as it won't let me install any newer apps as it is running on iOS 6. (Also the battery runs down super fast even when running music so it has to be plugged in to a charger all the time). If I get a new iPod Touch, will I automatically get the Bookmarks for the iPod Safari loaded on, as I have iCloud Control Panel 5.2.1.69 with the Firefox iCloud Bookmarks extension 1.4.24 running in Firefox on a Windows 7 PC? Or do I have to start up iCloud.com? I'm not using iCloud, except for the add-on in Firefox to sync my Bookmarks with Firefox, and the Control Panel. Thanks!

iPod Touch 4th Generation 32 GB White / Windows

Last edited by Gadzooks; 05-06-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM

As long as you have the plug in on your Firefox, and you have iCloud enabled on the device to sync Safari, they sync automatically, even to new devices that enable Safari synching.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Senior Lounger

OK cjmnews, I think I got it. I looked on my iPod Touch in the Settings->iCloud, and I'm still not sure if I have iCloud enabled though. I have my email address for my Apple account at the top where it says "Account", and everything is "On" except Mail and Notes, and Photo Stream is off too. Documents and Data is On.

But here's where I don't understand iCloud: Where it says "Storage and Backup", below it says "iCloud Backup is off". if I tap on that, and turn iCloud Backup to On, I get a box that says "Your iPod touch will no longer back up to your computer automatically when you sync with iTunes." (Up until now I have been backing up to iTunes). And below that it says "Automatically backup your Camera Roll, Accounts, Documents, and Settings when plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi." Do my Bookmarks in Safari on the iPod count as "Settings"? This is where I"m getting confused, and I can't find the answer in iCloud help. Thanks again cjmnews.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 AM

I believe bookmarks are part of the settings that are backed up.

That is not how you share bookmarks between Firefox and an iOS device. The Safari option for iCloud is the one to use for that.

I don't use iCloud backup as I have too many devices on one Apple ID to back them all up in the free space given.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Senior Lounger

Thanks for the quick reply, cjmnews. I looked again in the iCloud help, and in the "Storage and Backup - Overview" I found this:

"Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesnít include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive. If your iOS device isnít set up for iCloud Drive, but is set up for iCloud Documents & Data, your documents stored in iCloud are backed up."

This is pretty much the list on the iPod Touch with the on/off buttons in Settings->iCloud. So The 5 GB Free storage doesn't include the Bookmarks? It looks like they are in a separate iCloud backup. (I can't find the Apple help page that compares what is backed up in iTunes Compared to iCloud, so I'm not sure if my bookmarks are in the Mobile Sync on my PC). Also, I looked on the Apple help and only found one question about restoring a broken iPod Touch's data to a new iPod Touch (he was asking specifically about his Bookmarks). But the links from the help there didn't explain how to get a backup to go onto a different device. It seems that if one can backup a mobile sync or iCloud backup from one device to another, one could accidentally restore for example my iPod with the backup from my brothers iPod!

I just found this in iCloud Help too:

"Restore your Safari bookmarks and reading list

1.Go to Settings on iCloud.com, then click Restore Bookmarks (in the Advanced section).

Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.

2.To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.

There may be more versions than can be shown at once. Scroll to see more.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your Safari bookmarks and reading list before you change them. While theyíre being restored, any changes you make arenít saved.

The restored bookmarks and reading list appear on all your devices set up for iCloud Safari.

If you change your mind, you can restore the Safari bookmarks and reading list you were using. Just follow the steps above to restore the most recent version available"

I just logged in to iCloud.com (for the first time), and at the bottom in Advanced it has:
Reset Documents
Restore Contacts
Restore Calendars and Reminders
Restore Bookmarks

"Use these options if you need to recover data"

However, in the section above, "My Devices", it says I have no devices, I need iOS 8, Mac OS Yosemite, Watch OS 1, or later to see devices."

I hope that just because I can't see my device, that it is still backed up in iCloud.com.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:20 AM

Senior Lounger

Cool, when I click on "Restore Bookmarks": I get a list of Bookmark Backups, By date with the time it was backed up. The last is May 4th at 6:47 PM. (I dunno why its not more recent, it was plugged in and locked and connected to Wi-Fi as far as I Know as late as May 6th. Maybe its because I haven't added any Bookmarks on the iPod, I notice when I add a Bookmark I can't edit it right away it always says "Bookmarks are being synced"). Cool!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 AM

OK, so the Safari setting is separate (too busy to research) and it works. It might be part of the 5GB, it is just too small to notice.

Topic: Transferring Bookmarks To a New iPod Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.