Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Headphone jack repair question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Headphone jack repair question

I have a iPod touch 4th gen that I had bought used would not get any sound out of the headphone jack. I have quite a bit of experience with iPod repairs so I took the iPod apart and found that the connector on the logic board broke off. It is not part of the jack assembly, it is the connection that is on the logic board. Is there a way to fix this? I am able to solder well but the solder joints are extremely small and dont now if it is possible to do it this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Reclined Lounger

Ok, If you have experience with soldering fine connections then yes go ahead but i would strongly suggest you leave this to an expert.

This flex you are talking about is responsible for the on/off and volume controls. the audio jack is a separate unit at the bottom of the ipod and is not connected to the flex.

Did you damage the flex while you were disassembling the ipod? It is a common mistake and done often when people are doing screen changes in them.

the reason i ask is if the fault was their before you ripped the cable then the problem might not be as straight forward as changing the ear jack.

Are you getting audio from the speakers? If yes and no audio from the head jack then it is 1 of 3 things.
1) ear jack faulty
2) Audio chip damaged (usually from water damage)
3) damaged earjack connector.

At the very least you will need to de-solder the battery to avoid any kind of short while you are working on it. Remove the main logic board from the unit without breaking it down at that skinny part near the docking end!!

replace the volume/power flex

My advice? send it to a professional who knows what they are doing and have done it all before.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

I didn't mention anything about the flex cable in my post. Ive repaired hundreds of on/off power flex cables and soldered them without any issue. I actually enjoy doing that repair cause it is a challenge. I also repair screens all the time. I bought this iPod touch 4th gen 32gig used for 10 dollars and the only problem is the headphone connector. I have already diagnosed and confirmed the issue, my question now is, am I able to solder the the connector back onto the logic board? I have repaired just about everything on all gens of iPods and iPads but this looks like it could be a pretty tricky fix. I am confident that I don't need to send it to a professional since I can do the repairs myself for nearly none of the cost.
Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by offcenter2005; 01-05-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Topic: Headphone jack repair question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.