Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: transferring to a new ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

transferring to a new ipod touch

Sooner or later I will have to buy a new ipod touch... thinking of upgrading to a 4th gen 16gb from my current 2nd gen 8gb.

What I'd like to know most is, is it easy to transfer all the data? is it as simple as just plugging in the new ipod and syncing it?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Yes, so long as all of your media (music, movies, TV shows, apps, eBook, and audiobooks) are stored in your iTunes library. In fact, iTunes has the option to sync from a backup of your current iPod touch so that everything, including settings and background images, transfer over.

I do have to say this though: don't get the 4G iPod touch. It is using over two year old hardware and Apple is phasing out support of it. iOS 6 is likely the last version of iOS to support the 4G iPod touch. I see absolutely no point in buying used, old hardware. Stick with the 5G iPod touch. It is more expensive but it has a much nicer display (the same as the one in the iPhone 5, the 4G iPod touch had one worse than the iPhone 4 and 4S), camera with a built-in flash, faster processor, and is an all around better upgrade. Every single thing about the 5G iPod touch is better than the 4G. Why waste money on old hardware that will need to be replaced in another year or so when you can buy something new, now, that will last a good 3-4 years?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks. I figured it may have been easy to do.

intersting take though, So I shouldn't get the 4g? As someone who is soft of a tech junkie but not really (I like to have the latest electronic devices, but don't necessarily get into specifics of them) I think it seems pretty cool. I mean, I still have an ipod touch 2g that works fine that I have no desire to get rid of really, other than running out of space.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM

I don't see a point in buying a 4G iPod touch now as Apple isn't really supporting them. Not only that but apps are going to start phasing out the hardware in the 4G iPod touch and that particular iPod is over two years old now. You would be better off saving more money and buying a 32GB 5G iPod touch. More storage, much better display, hardware that isn't nearly as old, etc.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

This might sound like a real newbie question, but what does that really mean, "they don't support it?" they probably don't support the 2nd generation ipod tough either, but it works for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM

iOS software updates. The 2G iPod touch isn't supported and Apple released iOS 6 for the 4G iPod touch but all it did was slow that unit down and they only gave it one of the new features that iOS 6 offers. That and apps are going to stop supporting it soon, many apps already don't fully support the older hardware as they require something newer for an optimal experience.

Either way, it doesn't stop the 4G iPod touch from being over two years old and I see no point in investing money into something that is two years old only for you to turn around and do the same thing two years down the line when you start looking to buy a 5G iPod touch. I've never seen a point in people investing money in an older iPod touch. Now, things would be different if you were just using it for music/audio playback but I don't think you would be looking at getting an iPod touch if you were just doing that as an iPod nano or iPod classic would serve the exact same purposes.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Veteran Lounger

Many developers had already stopped supporting the 4G a year ago as its odd combination of retina graphics but 3GS phone era RAM made it impossible to do much. Now that the 5G touch is here, 4G support is becoming less common by the day. Even seemingly simple games are either leaving support "grey" (it will run but crash regularly) or simply shipping with the 4G explicitly not supported.

The ONLY reason to buy a 4G touch is if you have no interests outside of very basic apps and media playback with iOS.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the info. I mainly use my ipod touch for browsing the internet, and listening to music. I do try to watch videos occasionally. Sometimes they load fast, sometimes slow, sometimes not at all. Same kind of story when downloading apps, sometimes it goes fast, sometimes really slow. It looks like either 4g or 5g will solve that, although it could be my router.

I play games like cut the rope occasionally. I have a 3ds and a lot of other game system, but lately I've tried to download apps, but some require more recent iOS versions.

so I guess the only question would be which one to go with. The build quality of the 5g looks really sleek, but I question its durability somewhat. Don't really like its chaging cord, as I have a bunch of sync cords that would not be compatible. The new features are nice, but I guess all I'd really need is more space...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Veteran Lounger

Unless you really, really can't afford the 5G touch, you shouldn't still be considering "which one to go with". I practically feel guilty saddling my 5 y.o. with my old 32GB 4G touch because it's so slow and klunky next to the 5G. It really is an outdated piece of junk comparatively speaking.

You're talking $249 for a 4G touch @32GB, or $299 for a 5G touch @32GB. For that extra $50 you're getting a much, much better screen, a much better camera, a much better processor, double the RAM (albeit still too little, but since Apple has chosen to hose the iPad mini equally, it should keep developers supporting it longer than I feared at first), a device that will actually run iOS 6 without crashing frequently, etc., etc.. It's $50 sticker price, but hundreds of dollars less of your frustration.

Please, I owned a 4G touch from the time it was "new", by the time I replaced it this past fall I had come to loathe it like a significant other I couldn't live without but hated constantly all the same, you don't want to buy one over saving $50 up front and dropping $40 on some new lightning cables.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm actually still leaning toward the 4th gen, despite the opinions to with the 5th gen. I shop at gamestop a lot, and I think they have used 4th gens, but I wouldn't buy a used one, whaat if the autocorrect is full of racial slurs that get me fired?

Are there any known problems with the 5th gen? I read one review say that battery life isn't ideal on it. Money isn't an issue, I can afford either one. I guess one other thing would be the new cable. I have about 4 cables for the ipod I currently own, and I like having multiple, for charging in my room, family room, etc. I don't necessarily like to switch back and forth. Can i find spare lightning cables for cheap?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Well, if you can easily afford a 5G iPod touch, there should be no question about it. You should purchase that iPod touch. The battery life is going to be better than the 4G iPod touch irregardless of what one review stated. The 5G iPod touch easily gets an extra hour when surfing the web and playing videos. From what I have read, it gets about 42 hours of audio playback on a single charge. Like I said, every single aspect about the 5G iPod touch is an upgrade over the 4G model (EVERY single aspect!).

The 5G iPod touch comes with a lightning-USB cable and you can buy a new one for $20. You can use the same AC charger as with older iPods so you won't need a new one if you already have an older charger.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

I bought the 5th gen Ipod, now I'm making a new thread because I need help setting it up.

Topic: transferring to a new ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.