iPod making two of the same albums?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SnackCabinet

My iPod is making two of the same albums in my Music Library. Now in iTunes there is not two of the same albums. It only happens on the iPod. I tried deleting one and it deleted all the songs in the other one except two. This is the only album that is doing it. Can anybody please help me?

Details - iPod 4th Gen. 8GB.

EDIT: I've made sure everything is properly named and all that. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the ID3 Tags attached to them?

Attachments

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I've made sure everything is properly named and all that. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the ID3 Tags attached to them?
Something in the tags is not consistent across all the songs of the album. Even if they "look" the same, an extra space at the end of a field is enough to throw things off. Select all songs on the album and go to Get Info -- if you see any fields that are blank which aren't supposed to be blank (Artist, Album, etc.) then something is different on at least one of the songs.

SnackCabinet

Something in the tags is not consistent across all the songs of the album. Even if they "look" the same, an extra space at the end of a field is enough to throw things off. Select all songs on the album and go to Get Info -- if you see any fields that are blank which aren't supposed to be blank (Artist, Album, etc.) then something is different on at least one of the songs.
Thank you for you reply. After closely inspecting everything, I found out two songs had "compilation" ticked. I un-ticked, re-synced. Worked like a charm. Thanks though! :)

tronZ

Indeed almost always when you have multiple identical albums appear on your device, this means that the compilation option for tracks in this album is enabled. I am not sure whether this is a bug or Apple designed it this way - it looks more of a pain than somebody's design if you ask me :)

Gadzooks

The compilation check puts it in "compilations" on the "more" tab on the iPod. ( where you'll find genres and composers).

Also if you don't like all your albums with various artists being listed under "v" in artists on the iPod there is a setting: Settings-->Music--> Group By Album Artist turn it to off.

Last edited:

tronZ

The compilation check puts it in "compilations" on the "more" tab on the iPod. ( where you'll find genres and composers).
Yep, this in itself is a good feature. However, the fact that in the "Albums" tab albums are "duplicated", I think could be a bug which has been active for way too long :)

Also if you don't like all your albums with various artists being listed under "v" in artists on the iPod there is a setting: Settings-->Music--> Group By Album Artist turn it to off.
That's a good remark.

Gadzooks

"Part of a compilation" must be checked for every song on the album. Checking ( or unchecking) one (or a few) makes another separate album appear in the library.