Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Should I upgrade to iPod touch 5G... from old 2g?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Should I upgrade to iPod touch 5G... from old 2g?

Should I upgrade to iPod Touch 5th gen, 32 GB from an old 2nd gen, 8 GB?

I'm wanting to use my iTouch/iPad for more VOIP phone calls. I have an Android mobile phone, and don't like it. It's slow, and not many apps I like.

I don't want to fork over $500+ for a iPhone 4/5. My phone carrier doesn't offer iPhones, so I couldn't get one free/cheaper. I really don't want to buy a used iPhone, either... been there, done that. It didn't last all that long.

I'm a sucker for the 32 GB of the new iPod Touch. My itouch has 8 GB.

I'm also liking the colors available in the itouch-- green, blue, pink, yellow.

I can't seem to bring myself to pay $300 for an iTouch when I can get an iPad Mini for about $320. Or, I could buy a second iPad 2 for $300.

I currently have:

IPad 2
Running original iOS
16 GB
Out of space... too many apps and library books on Overdrive
Some apps don't work on older iOS
Google Voice for texting/VOIP for calling

iPod Touch 2nd generation
8 GB
Running latest iOS available for 2nd Gen
Many apps no longer run on this older iOS
Kind of a slow device now
Battery life less than steller, but decent
I have a plug-in microphone
No camera
No Skype
Google Voice for texting/VOIP for calling

Nook Simple Touch
Black and White E-Ink screen E-Reader
I don't use this as much... usually read on an iPad, unless outdoors.

I thought about getting a new ipod Touch and a mobile router and using it for VOIP calls on the go... like a mobile phone.

I use:
Camera-- I use them often. My old 2G itouch has no camera... I want one.
Kindle, Nook, Overdrive e-books and audiobook libraries
Apps... to learn Spanish and other college apps.
Pandora, Netflix.. the usual.
Google Voice for texting
VOIP for calling
I'm home a lot. Device size isn't a big deal, but smaller is nice.
I prefer iOS to Android these days.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Although Apple put the 5G iPod touch in a strange price bracket, it sounds like that would fit your needs over another iPad. You already have an iPad 2 and, if you purchased a 5G iPod touch, you will likely be able to put some of those apps over to the iPod. I see absolutely no point in owning two iPads filled with media when you really only need one at the very most. Not only that but the iPod touch is much more portable when you decide to take it out. You could easily hook it up to your car and play music, you can take pictures with it and not look like a tool (I'm sorry but people who take their iPads to social events and use them as a camera look like tools), it has all the same built-in photo options as the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 (the iPad mini can't do panorama), the camera in the iPod touch is much better than the one in the iPad 2 (and even the iPad 3/4 and neither of those has a flash), and I can keep going on.

I would recommend an iPad mini but you already have an iPad 2 and the only thing the mini can do over that is take pictures with a better camera. Aside from that, they are both the same. They have the same processor, same screen resolution, and same everything else. Your iPad 2 opens apps just as quickly as an iPad mini would.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Senior Lounger

It really depends on whether you want an i-device that you can almost always have with you--one that fits inside a shirt pocket or small purse. If so, then absolutely go with the iPod Touch 5G.

If that's not crucial, then consider the iPad Mini.

I would strongly recommend visiting an Apple or Best Buy store and playing around with one. There's nothing quite like hands on experience to see if the device has the right feel for you.

You'd be able to sell your iPod Touch 2 and get a little something or give it away to a family member or friend.

As to your iPad 2, it sounds as if you're making good use of it. If its running slow, or as you mentioned filled up, I'd recommend making a backup of it, then restoring it as a new device. Add back in apps, manually, only those that you regularly use. That will keep the iPad running swift and lean.

We have an original iPad that's still running great.

Given that you already have an iPad 2, which is lighter than later models, and fast, my guess would be that an iPod Touch 5G would be a good choice.

But if the always have portability isn't key, and you go the iPad Mini route, you could sell both the iPad 2 and the IPT 2! You'd end up paying for a big chunk of the Mini's cost that way.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Veteran Lounger

We have two iPod touch fifth generations and it is a very nice piece of kit (one for me, one for my daughter). Considering how much cheaper it is, it stands up well next to my wife's iPhone 5.

If you're going to have Wi-fi on the go, it's a great alternative to the bills associated with a smart phone. Mine goes everywhere with me and barring when I'm driving or at the few stores that don't have wi-fi anymore, I might as well have an iPhone. Camera is competent (something the 4G never came close to), device is (currently) very capable (and certainly light years ahead of your 2G).

Price is, objectively, completely and utterly ridiculous, but when the closest equivalent is the Galaxy Player which, as much as I like Samsung's Galaxy phones, is way outdated at this point for the money, not like you have much choice if you want something that fits in your pocket, does 90% of what an iPhone 5 does, and has no monthly bills.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Junior Lounger

I finally upgraded to the new iPod touch from my 2g touch. I'm 100% happy with the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad4 using TapatalkHD

16gb 4g orange nano
32gb white iphone5
64gb green ipod touch 5th gen
32gb white ipad4
32gb black ipad mini.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, very helpful advice.

I went ahead and sprung for the 5G.

I like it. The screen is so much clearer and responsive than the 2G.
It's so much faster, too. Speakers are a bit quiet compared to the iPad 2.

I had wondered why get the "same" device since I already had an old 2G.
But, I'm really enjoying the fast iOS 6, Siri, the camera, etc. on the 5G.

I guess it was worth it after all! I have upgraded PCs, phones, TVs, etc. since I got my iTouch 2G about 4 years ago. I guess it isn't so "bad" upgrading my Touch now. I'm using the old 2G as an iTunes and Boxee remote. The 5G interface sure is better. Quicker to install apps, and no "iOS not supported"errors. It's more enjoyable to use than the 2G I abandoned long ago, and took the place of my iPad on the couch tonight.

I actually like the wriststrap on it. Maybe I won't drop the thing. Why they made the wriststrap silicone I have no idea. Doesn't seem like it'll last.

Glad to have heard positive things about upgrading here. Upgrading was a pretty penny, but... it really is fun. My new color Touch 5 is pretty.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

One thing I don't like: I'm NOT loving the new "lightning" charger cable. It doesn't fit my other chargers or stereo docks. That's really annoying.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM

There is a 30-pin to lightning adapter, it's $30 (maybe less online) that Apple makes (buy the Apple one, don't purchase a knock-off!) along with a 30-pin to lightning adapter extension cable for $40. Apple moved to the lightning adapter across their entire product lineup. This is actually the second time in the 11 year history of iDevices that Apple changed connectors. Once back in 2003 with the 3G iPod, that introduced the 30-pin dock connector and moved away from FireWire 600. People complained back then too. Now Apple did it again in 2012. I think 7 years of using a connector is long enough and it is much better than the progression that other smartphones/platforms have gone through. My first touchscreen phone used mini USB and, at the time, smartphones did too. One year later and micro USB was adopted across the board. Now they are introducing wireless charging (each company has their own standard) and will likely switch to micro USB 3.0 sometime in 2013. That's three different connectors in a period of 4 years yet Apple stuck with one for 7 and will likely continue to use this one for a long while.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Veteran Lounger

Tip: don't buy the $30 adapter if you must buy an adapter, suck it up, poke yourself in the eye, and get the $40 one with the short wire and regular sized lightning connector. I bought the $30 one, used it for a bit over a month, cases came out and... it fits nothing. Total waste of the money since it's more practical to just buy a bunch of cables at $19 versus the adapter anyhow, but if you do need an adapter, get the one with the wire.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Senior Lounger

Great advice, Monkey!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:22 PM

I haven't had any issues with the $30 adapter without the additional cord length. It fits in my Otterbox Defender and with all my other iPhone 5 cases. I went with that adapter as, at the time, it was the only one available at any store (and I checked 2 Best Buys, a few Targets, a Walmart, and the Apple Store) in my area. I think the one with the longer cord is more appropriate for home docking solutions. However, if I am going to plug my iPhone 5 into something that already has a longer cord, I don't see anything wrong with the $30 adapter. I used it all the time in my car as it had only a 30-pin connector. I don't use it anymore as I installed a bluetooth kit for my stereo so everything is wireless now.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
It fits in my Otterbox Defender and with all my other iPhone 5 cases.
IF a case fits the $30 adapter, that case did not bother to take advantage of jack and squat about the lightning adapter or iPhone and touch designs.

In other words, if you're buying a new lightning case that leaves the entire bottom open like pre-lightning cases, it'll work. However, since most case manufacturers actually did change their molds, no, it will not work and your post is rather misleading. Every Speck case I've seen? Nope. Every Griffin case I've seen? Nope.

For S&Gs, started looking at the pictures for cases reviewed or featured by iLounge...

ZeroChroma? Nope.
LifeProof Pre? Nope.
X-Doria? Nope.
SwitchEasy Bones? Nope.
SwitchEasy Monsters? Maybe.
SwitchEasy Bonds? Nope.
Incipio Frequency? Nope.
Trident Kraken? Nope.
Spigen SGP? Nope.
Incipio NGP? Nope.
Incipio Kicksnap? Nope.
Incipio Stashback? Yes.
Puregear PX260? Yes.
Tavik Channel? Nope.
RokForm RokShield? Nope.
Belkin Grip? Nope.
PureGear DualTek? Yes.
... and then I got bored ...

So, yes, a few cases will work, but the vast majority do not, so unless you plan on buying cases to fit a $30 adapter that you really should not without a good reason, people should poke themselves in the eye for the $40 version.

Last edited by Code Monkey; 12-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Topic: Should I upgrade to iPod touch 5G... from old 2g?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.