Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't view my iPod touch in My Computer.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Can't view my iPod touch in My Computer.

I am trying to reset my computer, so I figured I would put some video and pictures on my ipod along with a few other things and reset the computer, hook ipod touch up and take it out. Easy.

however, I can find my iPod touch in My Computer, I tried using the iPhone Folders thing, but I'm using Windows 7 x64... What can I do?

I really need to reset this computer but I don't want to lose all of my videos and pictures (and don't really have time to upload them ALL to my facebook...)

Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm not really sure how you copied your content over to your iPod touch (I'm guessing you synced it through iTunes) but you cannot just open up an iPod touch's file directory through Windows Explorer (aka My Computer) and browse its content. The iPod touch doesn't work like that as iOS blocks access. Not only that but Windows is not compatible with the file system that iOS uses: HFS+. The ONLY time you can actually view some of the contents on an iOS device through My Computer is if you end up taking a picture with the iPod touch or you save a photo with it. Then the iPod touch will show up just like a digital camera. You can copy the photos off of it (and videos that are shot with the iPod's camera) but you actually can't copy anything into the photo/video directory.

You will need a 3rd party program to copy contents off of your iPod touch if you used iTunes to sync it all over.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
You will need a 3rd party program to copy contents off of your iPod touch if you used iTunes to sync it all over.
MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Veteran Lounger

The best thing you could do is get an external USB drive. Copy all your irreplaceable files to the USB drive before you reset the computer. Once you have the computer up and running again use this drive for a local computer backup. Most USB drives come with software to automate a computer backup so backing up is automatic.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Can't view my iPod touch in My Computer.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.